Newbie: Help with picking out first fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

packback

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 120 gallon tank that has been cycled over a period of about 10 weeks. I have 3 small hermit crabs that have been in the tank for about 3 weeks. I have two small emerald crabs and a chocolate starfish that have been in the tank for about a week. I have a power head, two 300 watt heaters, and two 350 gph marineland power filters. I have about 20 lbs of live rock. I plan to just purchase 5 or so lbs of live rock every week or two. I really like the look of a nice clean and somewhat empty tank but I want to make sure that I have everything I need to start adding some fish. I just want some colorful fish that my children can watch. They love watching the crabs already but they want to pick out some fish.

All of my water parameters that I can measure are ideal. I have an API saltwater master test kit.

I want to start with some inexpensive fish just in case I have a problem. I also want fish that will get along. I would prefer not to have any aggressive fish in the tank. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If it's for the kids, and you, what about clownfish? They are hardy, colourful and recognizable. Any kids I see at the LFS all hang out at the "Nemo" tank.

Steve

yup...why dont u try clownfish..??? if u wanna see what fish can get along, read articles from this sites...there is article provided what type of fish can get along...

First, getcha 3 of these. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Blue/Green Reef Chromis. Then, try these (gotta get these sooner or later with kids) Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred. Afterwards, try one of these. Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Diamond Watchman Sand Sifter Goby And maybe one of these to partner up with it. Tiger Snapping Shrimp.

Now if you did get the goby and or the shrimp, you've gotta make sure your rocks are not just sitting on the sand, but touching the bottom of the glass since these guys tunnel and could create a rock slide and damage them or your tank.

Lastly, you should consider a quarantine tank to add new additions to for a few weeks to ensure you don't introduce a sick fish.

Then after all those above, you'll need one of these. Surgeonfish: Tang Fish, Yellow Tangs and other Surgeons

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will start with 2 Ocellaris Clowns. Then maybe 3 Blue/Green Reef Chromis? I am going to look at each of the fish listed in this thread.

I have looked at the compatibility charts but I am not sure they are as useful as advice from all of you. Damsels seem to be compatible with a lot of fish and are considered a great starter fish. Then I read a lot more on them and came to the conclusion not to get them. They can become very aggressive and aren't really a great choice.

Now I have have come to the conclusion that purchasing a chocolate chip starfish wasn't the best idea either. It really has been fun to watch this first week and it is eating like everyone said it would. It looks to be in great shape but maybe I should take it back. It seems as though it may be very hard to keep and will eventually die. Anyone have an opinion on the Chocolate Chip Starfish?

no tank is complete without an algae/lawnmower blenny. check them out too...compatible with everything, and very entertaining to watch.
i do like the clowns as well.
i've never owned a CC star because they are not reef safe.

The lawnmower blenny requires an established tank with lots of algae. Other blennies like the bicolor generally get along with fine with nori as a supplement to algae growing on the rock.

Just remember to go slow with the fish additions. Wait a few weeks between purchases to allow the bacterial population time to expand for each new bio load added to the tank.

where did you hear that? i do not agree. lawnmower blennies are omnivores. i've put plenty of them in brand new tanks and they've eaten whatever i've put in the tank for them, including nori sheets. this was true for all of the lawnmower blennies i've owned.

yes I've also had good luck with the one lawnmower blenny i had awhile back...but i have read many stories online that stated how hard it is to get them to eat and that they often die

I have question about a qt tank. I have a 25 gallon that I can use. Do I have to change the water after each fish I quarantine? Also do I need substrate in the tank?

Back
Top Bottom