Newbie in need of serious help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Day 23
Ammonia - 2.0 - 4.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

I'm guessing the filters in the tank do cause a false reading or that the aquasafe conditioner is not that effective. I don't have to wait several minutes after putting the aquasafe into the tap water and into the tank do I?

Day 24
Ammonia 1.0 - 2.0 (hard to tell these things sometimes.)
Nitrite - 0

Man this is getting frustrating. :banghead:

Is that what it is right now? Using shrimp, flakes, and ammo is a tough thing to do you have no control over the amount of ammo being produced at a time. It may be wise to just stick with 1preferably the ammo you can control that maybe do a water change a big one add the ammo you need to achieve 2ppm and see what hapoens in a couple days from there. Whats the temp in the tank? Filter are you using? Are you creating good oxygen with an airstone or good surface aggitation from the filter.

The PH is 8.0 right now. I already removed the shrimp a few days ago and did a 60% water change with it. The temp right now is 86.6 degrees but its does go up and down from 82 to 86.9. The filter that I am using is an aquatech 5 - 15 gallon filter. I did install an airpump to the aquarium and as for water surface agitation I think it's good but not quite sure.

I was just reading more im going to say day 21 was your oops moment. If I read that correctly you shut down the filter for a day placing the stuff in the tank would have been ok if you still had water flow but it doesnt appear you did. Im thinking you killed your BB you had which is why the ammo was back to 4ppm and nitrites disapeared with the water change youve for lack of better terms started over that day

If you have the air stone dont worry about the aggitation thats just another way to create oxygen. If your ammo is at 2ppm let it be today than and wait and see what happens tomorrow. The fact that its down again from 4 is a good sign if it gets to 1ppm add enough ammo to get it back up to 4ppm add little at a time you can add more but its tough to take it back out

I'd you live in south eastern PA I'll hook you up with seeded material. Also if you go to a pet store and see those crappy decorations in there tanks ask if you can by 1 of them cheapy plastic plants or one of them fake rocks BB on them. Just make sure they put them in a bag with water from the tank like they would for fish. Some places still use bio balls for all there filtration ask if you can have a couple. Never hurts to ask.

Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near PA to get it but thank you for helping me. I only have one LPS near me and let's just say that that the conditions in their are bad. Even the fish tanks in their had algae on them and the water looked dirty plus their stuff in there is overpriced.

I under stand that. You didn't comment on what I was saying about day 21 was I reading that correct and do you understand what I was saying about what may have happened

Sorry about that I had to leave for work. I admit the post about day 20 & 21 is a little confusing after reading it again.

Here's the long version of what happened.

On day 20 the shrimp that I had left in the tank was starting to make the water and room smell. I tested the water before doing the water change and it did not show any nitrites present nor nitrates in the water. I did a 60% water change and removed the shrimp from the aquarium around the afternoon hours. I unplugged the heater and filter before the water change. The aquatech filter does not keep the water in the filter and shoots it all out when it is unplugged.

The reason I did not add more water into the tank at the time was because I needed to install the airline into the aquarium, but I had to wait until the next day to buy one because I thought the airpump that I got included the airline.

I didn't want the bacteria in the aquarium filter and the biofilter to dry out and die, so I thought leaving it in the aquarium tank water would keep the bacteria alive.
An hour or 2 later I noticed that the water was beginning to cloud up real badly. I just assumed that the cloudiness was from the filters being in the tank.

The next morning around 7 to 8, I tested to water again to make sure that no nitrites nor nitrates were present since I was going to take the rest of the water out and do a good cleaning in the tank in cause that was the problem and then install the airline. I tested the nitrites with the rest of the tank water and it said that my nitrites were .25 ppm. I did not test for ammonia because I assume their wouldn't be any nitrites if the ammonia was low. the cloudiness in the water disappeared as well. I went to work and bought a airline when I got off work.

I then added the 60% of water back into the tank with aqua safe, put the filters back and turned on the air pump, filter, and heater. I tested the water the next day and nitrites were 0 again.

I would say they had no oxygen and died off. Test again tomorrow lets hope that tomorrow or sunday the nitrites come back and the ammo starts to drop consistent.

Day 25
Ammonia - 2.0
nitrite - 0

Thanks Hbbambislayer, that explanation does make a lot of sense.

August 5
Ammonia - 2
Nitrite - 0

No changes again 8

Also does anyone know why I keep getting this error every time I try to make another thread? (1.The number of tags you tried to add to this thread exceeded the maximum number of tags by 1.) Any help on this error would be appreciated.

8/6

Ammonia - 2
Nitrite - 0 (It does look like the blue color changed slightly)

It's alright, I manged to post the thread around after I shorten it. It was just to ask about what hardy plants would be good in a 10G.

8/6

Ammonia - 2
Nitrite - 0 (It does look like the blue color changed slightly)

It's alright, I manged to post the thread around after I shorten it. It was just to ask about what hardy plants would be good in a 10G.

What test kit are you using? Do you have an api test kit? What are your nitrate readings?

Back
Top Bottom