Newbie needing help stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JennyK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am currently fishless cycling (thanks to this site!) :) a 36 and a 46 gallon bowfront freshwater aquariums and doing research on my stocking options for when its finished.

I've been reading about many different kinds of fish, but would be very grateful to get some of your "expert" opinions. :)

The 36 gallon bowfront has an Aquaclear 70 filter and sandy bottom with a large holey rock with caves and is planted with amazon sword and java fern.

The 46 gallon has a Hydor canister filter rated for up to a 100 gallon tank with sand bottom, driftwood, some caves and hiding spots, java moss, java fern and some plastic/silk plants.

I have 6 guppies and 6 white skirt tetras in a 20 gallon now that are doing great and I actually enjoy doing water changes, testing and the sort, but prefer something not too delicate as I'm still learning.

I'm open to any and all suggestions, but I do like some color and I don't like fish that hide for days at a time... I like to do head counts. ha ha...
Also, what should go in first would be great! :)

Thanks so much in advance!

It looks like you are well on your way to a couple of nice setups. You are already on top of things with your power filters and aquascaping choices. With plants certain fish varieties to avoid are African cichlids and silver dollar fish.
Since you have a nice chunk of Texas Holey rock, pick fish that will take advantage of the holes, like South American dwarf cichlids. You will find a lot of pro and con information regarding the use of limestone with South American fish. I use a lot of limestone in my tanks with no adverse effects on my South Americans, cichlids and tetras.
I would recommend a bristlenose pleco in each tank as well as a small school of Cory cats. Schools of smaller varieties of rainbow fish "neon dwarfs or austalians" or tetras, "Columbian or Buenos Aires, ect." Would look good in both tanks. You have so many options. These are just some of my favorites, fairly hardy and relatively inexpensive. I'm sure other AA members will also chime in with additional fine suggestions.
Good luck.

Thanks! I would've been totally lost if I hadn't found this site. :)

Those are great options! Thanks!
I love cory cats, they're my favorite fish so far. I definitely want to incorporate those in both tanks. And tetras are so much fun to watch.

Big advice is to just walk around local fish stores and see what catches your eye, go home and research it before you buy. Check out videos on youtube on the fish. Ask here. Don't feel the need to get a pleco/sucker/cleaner fish, lots of people think you need one but you don't, and a lot of them make more dirt than they clean. I try to stick by levels, what type of fish swims where so the tank looks nice, not crowded.

Toad, I agree with your opinion that Plecos are not required and that some varieties, especially the common Pleco, are big waste makers. I don't understand why LFS even carry the common ones due to their potential size.
I have kept Plecos in my tanks for years, some of my current ones are at least 5 y.o. The varieties I keep are the bristlenose, gold nugget and the dull eyed royal. I have found that these varieties stay relatively small and are not big waste makers. The gold nugget and the d.e. royal are more beautiful than beneficial although their constant wood grazing does cut down on the algae. The bristlenose is extremely helpful, keeping all the aquascape materials relatively algae free. The three types I keep are active night and day and are as fun to watch as any other variety of fish I keep. Regarding my bristlenose suggestion, it's a good beginner scavenger, interesting to watch, durable and a fish with more pros than cons.

I've had my bristlenose for around 13 years, and he poops up a storm. He also, like many plecos, spends a good amount of time hiding in my driftwood. For the amount of time/enjoyment I get from mine vs how much bioload he produces and stocking numbers he limits, I wouldn't get a pleco again. He makes far more of a mess than he cleans. If OP wants one, clown plecos are the smallest, somewhat colorful and hardy, but they still are dirty fish. They should be purchased by someone who wants them for them, not what they think they'll clean.

I'm not really looking at plecos. I much prefer something a little prettier.

I keep up really well with water changes and cleaning. Ive had bad luck with cardinal tetras though, so looking for something a little hardier I guess.

You could do a S American themed tank with a few schools of tetras and Corydoras. There are many suitable tetra species you might want to check out (and some to steer away from). IMO larger schools of fish are more visually impressive then several smaller schools.
Work with your LFS and see if custom orders can be done. There are online options available for ordering fish as well.

Back
Top Bottom