Newbie question on filtration and other stuff

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Attaching a background? I've read about doing it a few different ways, and seen some products. I was just wondering which is the best or preferred way, I'm not looking to make it a permanent feature, just wanted to try out some plain colors and try and see which will help hide/blend my filter. Which is black so I'm guessing a black backdrop would work best.

Cheers.

Do some searching on here. Ive tried everything from plastic backgrounds taped on, to a sheet hung on the back, & painted. Painted is my new fav but its a more permanent solution. Black is preferred but ive seen some some really neat looking tanks with blue backgounds, too.

I will have look at the plastic and taping sounds the simplest.

I have further questions,

Some of my java fern that I bought do not seem to have any roots coming out of the stems/rhizomes? Will they grow some or eventually just die? (I've started attaching them to bog wood) also have read when the leaves turn black clip them off but leave the stem and they will grow back?

My other question is that my filter media is some kind of sponge with lots of variant size holes, as like a sponge. But what I'm asking is can I trim some of this and replace it with filter wool for a finer filtration?

Cheers

You will just have to wait & see what your ferns do- i would trim any black leaves as they are mostly dead.

I would try to fit some wool in your filter before considering trimming- most filters have quite a bit of 'empty' space in them & i cram them full with of all kinds of stuff. If there really isnt any free room, you can trim a bit off the sponge- less you trim, the better. :)

What kind of danios are inthe 8 gal do you know? Goldfish and tropicals shouldn't be mixed as they have different temperature requirements. Also the 8 gal is really too small for either of those fish. How long has the tank been set up? I'm not sure what type of goldie it is (maybe Jlk can help there) but I think the 30 gal would be a nice home for it if it isn't a Common. The danios are another situation though as they shouldn't be mixed with coldwater fish and the 8 gal tank is most likely too small for them too (would need to know what kind). So maybe rehome the goldfish (or build it a nice pond or get another larger tank for it?) and use the 30 gal for the danios and some other tropicals, or rehome the danios (or setup a separate larger tropical tank) and use the 30 gal for the goldfish?

Attaching a background? I've read about doing it a few different ways, and seen some products. I was just wondering which is the best or preferred way, I'm not looking to make it a permanent feature, just wanted to try out some plain colors and try and see which will help hide/blend my filter. Which is black so I'm guessing a black backdrop would work best.

Cheers.

SeaVie sells a background mounting adhesive: SeaView Aquarium Background Mounting Solution at PETCO You can still remove the background if needed very easily. I"ve read Vaseline or baby oil works similarly as well.

I have more plants and bog wood in the tank, must have rushed some of the bog wood as the water has taken on a yellow/brown hint. More water changes arrrrrghhhh!

librarygirl said:
What kind of danios are inthe 8 gal do you know? Goldfish and tropicals shouldn't be mixed as they have different temperature requirements. Also the 8 gal is really too small for either of those fish. How long has the tank been set up? I'm not sure what type of goldie it is (maybe Jlk can help there) but I think the 30 gal would be a nice home for it if it isn't a Common. The danios are another situation though as they shouldn't be mixed with coldwater fish and the 8 gal tank is most likely too small for them too (would need to know what kind). So maybe rehome the goldfish (or build it a nice pond or get another larger tank for it?) and use the 30 gal for the danios and some other tropicals, or rehome the danios (or setup a separate larger tropical tank) and use the 30 gal for the goldfish?

Librarygirl, I have re-homed the goldfish to a friends pond, and the the two that lived in my 30 gallon for a few weeks have gone to my sons nursery tank which is about 150 gallons that is in a entire wall. The danios I still have, I was assured they was cold water? I have three of them. The 8 gallon has been running for about a year, I do regular water changes and stepped it up to daily when I found out I'd over stocked. The 30 gallon has been up for about two months and I was doing a fish less cycle on it until I was gifted two fish I didn't want then had to step that up to daily water changes also. But now I'm down to 3 danios that I'm going to also re-home asap as I have been reading up on them. I'm thinking of just keeping plants in my tanks, but I'm pretty sure I'm getting that wrong also lol

Haha!!! I was just asking last week about tiger oscars! I know nothing about them & my husband is interested in getting some (which means they will be my fish). All i can tell you is they need a really big tank even for a single fish. Hopefully, someone else can answer this question correctly!

Bosco72 said:
Hello, I'm new to this and I'm setting up a 30 gallon habitat. I'm looking for all the advice I can get my hands on.

I have under gravel filters at the moment, but was looking to add additional filtering. But I'm not sure if I even need it?

The tank has nothing in it apart from under gravel filters, gravel, heater, and water (ph 7 at the moment).

I have only ever kept small (6/7 gallons) cold tanks, goldfish, fantails, dragon eyes, which are quite easy to maintain.

I am planning live planting, which i have never done. this will take some time and thought before I commit. The java fern has been popping up as a good starting point?

Also I would like to have schooling fish in there, but again I'm not sure of what and the amount.

I plan to document this from start to completion, and have started taking images and video of the whole process.

Any advice on any of the above would be greatly appreciated.

Gravel filters are nice but you can never over filter I have two 70 gal filters on my 75 gal tank needless to say I have very good clear water if are getting plants watch what fish you get and avoid natural sunlight to avoid algea blooms and don't take everybodys advice on tank mates I have two royal blue lobsters three oscars a silver arrowanna and two green terrors in my 75 gal and these are supposed to be noncompatable fish so best to learn from trial an error unless your dropping big money on a single fish

jlk said:
Haha!!! I was just asking last week about tiger oscars! I know nothing about them & my husband is interested in getting some (which means they will be my fish). All i can tell you is they need a really big tank even for a single fish. Hopefully, someone else can answer this question correctly!

If your wanting oscars you'll need a 55+ size tank gravel or sand will work I prefer sand just for cleaning it's easier a very strong filter oscars are dirty dirty fish I recommend a non vegetated scene a few slate slabs log jams diet should be rotated to enhance natural colors so a diet should consist of brine shrimp blood worms goldfish beef heart other small fish guppies Molly betas and so on I find my oscars as a smart breed of fish with high problem solving skill and personality almost as high as my dog as far as maintaining them they live in any condition no joke I know some survivors went years without cleaning and food and still are alive also you'll have to keep in mind that oscars live to be 10+ years so good luck I hope I was helpful

Jack Jeckel said:
Gravel filters are nice but you can never over filter I have two 70 gal filters on my 75 gal tank needless to say I have very good clear water if are getting plants watch what fish you get and avoid natural sunlight to avoid algea blooms and don't take everybodys advice on tank mates I have two royal blue lobsters three oscars a silver arrowanna and two green terrors in my 75 gal and these are supposed to be noncompatable fish so best to learn from trial an error unless your dropping big money on a single fish

I stuck with the gravel filters regardless of people's opinions here, they seem to really make sense. But I see what the cons could be. And im keeping them to find out for myself, purely to gain the experience and not to go against all the great advice I'm getting here. I also went with a really good in tank filter with a full length spray bar. It can shift 1200 liters an hour, so hopefully I'm covered.

Wow that sounds like a lot of stock for 75 gallons? I had the impression that would cover maybe two 1/2" fish? So do you think I would get one tiger oscar in my 30 gallon with the view to upgrade? This is why I was asking about how fast do they grow. I'd never seen one until the other day, very beautiful indeed. Then I did some reading, amazing predators!

jlk said:

I have read min of 55 gallons for them? But I have seen many in smaller?

Bosco72 said:
I have read min of 55 gallons for them? But I have seen many in smaller?

Ya I've seen them in smaller tanks oscars can grow fast I power fed mine in a year I had 10 inch fish my green terrors are still hiding arrowanna swims at the top doesn't get bothered that much plus he's still a baby blue lobsters clean my gravel and eat dead fish that my oscars spit up I've actually have a small balanced ecosystem which is fantastic hard to do but if you pull it off but I would get a big tank 55+ for a single Oscar just for the fact so it can swim not fun to watch when there stay still

Jack Jeckel said:
Ya I've seen them in smaller tanks oscars can grow fast I power fed mine in a year I had 10 inch fish my green terrors are still hiding arrowanna swims at the top doesn't get bothered that much plus he's still a baby blue lobsters clean my gravel and eat dead fish that my oscars spit up I've actually have a small balanced ecosystem which is fantastic hard to do but if you pull it off but I would get a big tank 55+ for a single Oscar just for the fact so it can swim not fun to watch when there stay still

I definitely wouldn't want to put the fish at risk of any illness and discomfort, I will have to wait until I need to upgrade, as i have only just bought the 30 gallon I think I will get some further experience under my belt before taking on a fish like an oscar! I was thinking cardinal tetras, how many would thrive in a planted 30 gallon?

Although I have seen 100 gallon tank I like the look of :)

Bosco72 said:
I definitely wouldn't want to put the fish at risk of any illness and discomfort, I will have to wait until I need to upgrade, as i have only just bought the 30 gallon I think I will get some further experience under my belt before taking on a fish like an oscar! I was thinking cardinal tetras, how many would thrive in a planted 30 gallon?

Although I have seen 100 gallon tank I like the look of :)

Oscars are easy fish to maintain if they survive the first two weeks theyre probably not going to die it's some times expensive to maintain because they have a natural habit of getting your tank dirty in a week other than that they are one of my favorites if not ready for oscars try green terrors they have really cool colors or blood parrot or Texas cichlids these are all bigger than assorted Africans cichlids and more aggressive I think

Back
Top Bottom