Newbie to saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well ive been testing everyday and ice been testing with liquid test also on the side and theyve been testing the same results but yeah nitrite spike then wait for a nitrate spike also just so happy now cause i got a nitrite spike so that means the cycle is going good

Just wondering which one one goes away first the ammonia or the nitrites cause i have no ammonia in my saltwater and nitrites are going down

Chemistry is fun! Nothing is actually going away at all what you are observing is the transformation of nitrogenous waste products. Ammonia is released by decomposition and digestion (leftover food and fish poop). The ammonia is then eaten by a bacteria. The bacteria spits that same nitrogen out as Nitrite. Then a different bacteria eats the nitrite and spits out nitrate.
So under most circumstances (I dislike absolutes like all and none) you will have ammonia drop and nitrites rise. Then the nitrites will drop and nitrates will rise. Fairly standard is the assumption that when ammonia measured at 4 ppm is converted completely to nitrate within 24 hours, the cycle is complete enough to add fish. Slowly.

Back
Top Bottom