Newbie to the forum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greatgrief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had saltwater tanks for about 25 years (minus the past 7), and it seems like a lot has changed. Never heard of the fishless tank cycle before reading this forum. Cycling for me has always taking months, and my preparation of the tank before fish is a few days to a week. I know I'm fixin to get bashed here, but;
I always start with a live rock in a dark tank with no light for days.
Add damsels and monitor chemicals
partial water changes to balance toxins
after 4 to 6 months no more water changes ever, just top off due to evaporation.
I also use undergravel filter, that seems to have lost favor as well. I understand about the trapped material in the substrate. I use 1/2 sized undergravel filter seperated in the middle (currently a 10gal in a 36 gal tank), and alternate sides with the powerhead.
Only time I can remember losing a fish, is when I added an aggressive fish to the tank. That's my old school method;
With that said, we hope to get a much larger tank next spring (46 gal is smallest I've ever had), and I think I'm gona try the fishless cycle on it. I'll try any thing once, twice if i like it :)

Yah know, when I started in this hobby my father didn't understand why I wanted to avoid Undergravel Filters. Seems he loved the things and they worked great for him. I do know there's some trick that's being done by some people with an UGF not being used "as a filter" but under their sand or gravel. I don't remember the details though. Now I'm gonna have to go look that up... heh

Welcome to AA.

Hi there.greatgrief, and welcome the AA forum, from a fellow Texan and former SW tank keeper! :welcome: I, also, found that things had changed dramatically, from 20 years ago. It's amazing how much they have learned in a few years, and how the technology has improved and developed. Hope you enjoy the forum, as I'm sure you will, and your renewed hobby.:fish2:

Hi there.greatgrief, and welcome the AA forum, from a fellow Texan and former SW tank keeper! :welcome: I, also, found that things had changed dramatically, from 20 years ago. It's amazing how much they have learned in a few years, and how the technology has improved and developed. Hope you enjoy the forum, as I'm sure you will, and your renewed hobby.:fish2:

thanks. am sure i will learn a lot

Yah know, when I started in this hobby my father didn't understand why I wanted to avoid Undergravel Filters. Seems he loved the things and they worked great for him. I do know there's some trick that's being done by some people with an UGF not being used "as a filter" but under their sand or gravel. I don't remember the details though. Now I'm gonna have to go look that up... heh

Welcome to AA.

can't imagine doin without.

I've had saltwater tanks for about 25 years (minus the past 7), and it seems like a lot has changed. Never heard of the fishless tank cycle before reading this forum. Cycling for me has always taking months, and my preparation of the tank before fish is a few days to a week. I know I'm fixin to get bashed here, but;
I always start with a live rock in a dark tank with no light for days.
Add damsels and monitor chemicals
partial water changes to balance toxins
after 4 to 6 months no more water changes ever, just top off due to evaporation.
I also use undergravel filter, that seems to have lost favor as well. I understand about the trapped material in the substrate. I use 1/2 sized undergravel filter seperated in the middle (currently a 10gal in a 36 gal tank), and alternate sides with the powerhead.
Only time I can remember losing a fish, is when I added an aggressive fish to the tank. That's my old school method;
With that said, we hope to get a much larger tank next spring (46 gal is smallest I've ever had), and I think I'm gona try the fishless cycle on it. I'll try any thing once, twice if i like it :)

Welcome aboard mate. Nice to see another old schooler around once in a while. UGF works great if you know what you're doing and keep up with the maintanence.

Welcome to AA.

Probably thinking about a plenum, which uses old UGF under a deep sandbed in saltwater tanks. There is also a reverse UGF that is done using reverse flow powerheads like the penguin to push water and gunk up through the UGF instead of trapping it underneath.

Welcome aboard mate. Nice to see another old schooler around once in a while. UGF works great if you know what you're doing and keep up with the maintanence.

Probably thinking about a plenum, which uses old UGF under a deep sandbed in saltwater tanks. There is also a reverse UGF that is done using reverse flow powerheads like the penguin to push water and gunk up through the UGF instead of trapping it underneath.

Thanks WY

Just a follow up. I am guessing oldschool still works pretty well for me. At 2 weeks our tank has settled in nicely. I did 3, 15 % pwc to reduce toxins during the nitrite spike. on day 12 i did a 50% pwc to lower both no2 and no3. 30 hours later no2 was .25ppm and no3 was 5ppm. day 14 it is 0 across the board.

Back
Top Bottom