Newby looking for advice,

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatiman

Aquarium Advice Freak
Where do I start

Been over 20 years since I kept fish, and boy how things have changed, biggest change being the price of fish!

Saw a nice fluvial 240 litres set up locally, won it on eBay and collected yesterday

Was a very matured tank

Here's the breakdown on top of the normal Roma setup

2 medium-large angels (breeding pair so I do hope they survive)
2 adult female swords (needing men)
3 adult zebra danios (looking a bit straggly with age)
3 6-8inch plecs (not a big fan of these but they are quite nice marked)
1smaller albino plec (hiding)
2 3inch albino corys (was never a big fan but these have been the most interesting fish so far, one in particular looking very plump!!!! See pic)
3 glass catfish (one of which looking poorly, see below)
1 5 inch red tailed black shark (doa)

Due to confusion and bad organisation (not on my part) I collected tank. Larger fish went in a bucket and other were left in a few inches of water in tank for 30 minute journey (not ideal)

After quickly getting tank filled etc adding some treatment I had no choice other than get fish in. shark was alive but died a few hours later, think the stress was too much. Was gutted as he was a beauty. Others seem fine, apart from one of the glass cats, but in all honesty I'm amazed they survived as are notoriously fragile.

Anyway fingers crossed for next few days. I'm in the Scottish Borders, and fish shops are pretty poor, but went out today. I know I should give tank a couple of weeks but wanted a couple of male swords as knew it wouldn't break the bank if they died, however they had none so came back with 3 male and 3 female guppies.

Tank looks ok, needs plants better rooted (advice on these as not sure what they are) and a few other bits and bobs but think I'm better letting it all settle before getting my hands back in.

By the way. iPhone 4 pretty good for close up pics.

Look forward to ur comments

staticmap

Attachments

• image-1716266649.jpg
    image-1716266649.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2751940750.jpg
    image-2751940750.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 101
Approx. 63 US Gallons, with two cories, three glass cats, pair of angels, two swordtails, three danios, three plecos, one other albino pleco, and six guppies three males and three females. Before anything, ccan I ask you...did you cycle? If yes, you're good to go. If not: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

As for the stock, we need to know what kind of plecos they are. If they are commons that's big trouble. I'm guessing the albino is some sort of smaller one. Could you post some pics?
The danios, glass cats and cories all need schools of at least six or more, and a school will make your one glass cat feel secure and will keep him from stressing out, they are sensitive fish.
Good luck!

Approx. 63 US Gallons, with two cories, three glass cats, pair of angels, two swordtails, three danios, three plecos, one other albino pleco, and six guppies three males and three females. Before anything, ccan I ask you...did you cycle? If yes, you're good to go. If not: I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?!

As for the stock, we need to know what kind of plecos they are. If they are commons that's big trouble. I'm guessing the albino is some sort of smaller one. Could you post some pics?
The danios, glass cats and cories all need schools of at least six or more, and a school will make your one glass cat feel secure and will keep him from stressing out, they are sensitive fish.
Good luck!

ditto....good advice bruins

bruinsbro1997 said:

Good luck!

I've attached stock pics of the plecs

Couldn't cycle, didn't have tank spare etc however as it was an existing setup brought as much of internals as poss even a good few buckets of the water.

Kevin

Attachments

• image-2112690373.jpg
    image-2112690373.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3528658537.jpg
    image-3528658537.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 86
Hmm the albino looks like a common, but I can't say. The other one looks like a gold nugget but don't know as I'm not an expert.

To make sure the tank is well-established from the bacteria, could you post some numbers? Did you by any chance get a filter with this? Did you keep the media wet?

the first one is some kind of a albino brittlenose pleco, i think, but not sure. if it is, they can grow up to 6" or so. the second on the other hand is the common pleco which is notorious for growing up to 24". they get huge. i had to get rid of mine coz i had him on a 10G and that was a no no.

Last edited:
daileene said:
the first one is some kind of a albino brittlenose pleco, i think, but not sure. if it is, they can grow up to 6" or so. the second on the other hand is the common pleco which is notorious for growing up to 24". they get huge. i had to get rid of mine coz i had him on a 10G and that was a no no.

Yes think the plecos are gonna go coz they will get too big, maybe find a good home locally or swap for some coloured livebearers.

Not got my testers yet, all on order, but I have heard that our water here in south Scotland is pretty good!

Yes even kept the fluvial 305 filled with the same water, so fingers crossed.

Added bioactive tape safe as well

Fingers crossed!

you can keep the albino pleco IMO coz they don't get that very big, then you can just add some nerite snails as cleaning crews. on the other hand, it is better to maybe swap the 3 common plecos. and yes, livebearers are very beautiful choice indeed. get a trio of them (2 females and 1 male)

and yes, i hope the beneficial bacterias were still alive during the trip. when you get your test kit, check it as soon as you can.

daileene said:
you can keep the albino pleco IMO coz they don't get that very big, then you can just add some nerite snails as cleaning crews. on the other hand, it is better to maybe swap the 3 common plecos. and yes, livebearers are very beautiful choice indeed. get a trio of them (2 females and 1 male)

I've attached my breeding angels, hope they make it. Is there a period maybe when I'm out of danger! 5 days maybe.,?

Ta for the advice.

Du know what my plants are?

Kevin

Attachments

• image-2387853191.jpg
    image-2387853191.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 61
I've attached my breeding angels, hope they make it. Is there a period maybe when I'm out of danger! 5 days maybe.,?

Ta for the advice.

Du know what my plants are?

Kevin

We won't know for sure unless we know the water parameters...

If you could give us some pics of the plants we could try IDing them.

It doesn't look like a bristlenose, there are not bristles near it's mouth or anywhere as for as I can tell...

oh now that you mentioned it, there is no bristles near. hmmm....i wonder if it is a pitbull? or maybe you are right, it might be an albino common. I have not seen one in person so I immediately assume it was the bristle one

daileene said:
oh now that you mentioned it, there is no bristles near. hmmm....i wonder if it is a pitbull? or maybe you are right, it might be an albino common. I have not seen one in person so I immediately assume it was the bristle one

No bristles on albino or brown ones. The brown ones are just hypostomus I think.

Plant pic attached.

Attachments

• image-2814117183.jpg
    image-2814117183.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 64
bruinsbro1997 said:
It looks like some sort of crypt but in really bad shape! What happend to it? Was it like that when you got it?

Yes was like that. Massive healthy root structure. Leaves look like autumn coloured leaves on tree. Even the fresh growth is brown in colour.

it does look like a crypt...probably a red and green wendtii or a spiralis but not sure...it does look bad...probably lack of ferts?

Back
Top Bottom