New's 29 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow..I hadn't heard that yet..sounds like a good experiment of some sorts..There is so much contradicting info sometimes... I believe it were me I would add ammo sense the tank hasn't cycled yet..try and increase the BB population..if it is a fishless cycle.

Yeah there's lots of new info popping up and stuff. I was surprised too. It makes sense though, they must be hardier than that.

Ok now I think I got it. The 29 and the filter on it are uncycled. The sponge filter is cycled.

If thats right, then put the sponge from the sponge filter in the other filter. Squeeze it a bit and leave it in for a few days. Then take out the sponge and put it back on the sponge filter. That should be good.

I'd put some ammonia in afterwards to test and see how well cycled the filter is. Remember you're aiming to go from 4 ppm ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours.

Ok. I'm confused. You don't really cycle a tank, but the filter. So the sponge filter is cycled? Whats the problem? Is that the only filter on the 29 or is there also a larger filter on the 29?

Yes the sponge filter is cycled and when its in my 10 gallon my ammonia is 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5-10 but when I moved it to my 29 gallon the ratings were ammonia 1.5 nitrites 5+ and nitrates 5-10 and I dont know why the sponge filter is for a 40 gallon tank.

There is also a hob filter running thats brand new

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok now I think I got it. The 29 and the filter on it are uncycled. The sponge filter is cycled.

If thats right, then put the sponge from the sponge filter in the other filter. Squeeze it a bit and leave it in for a few days. Then take out the sponge and put it back on the sponge filter. That should be good.

I'd put some ammonia in afterwards to test and see how well cycled the filter is. Remember you're aiming to go from 4 ppm ammonia to 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite in 24 hours.

Im not sure if the sponge filter will fit... its huge can I not just let it run in that tank say for like a month while the hob filter build up BB?

Where can I get straight ammonia or what can I use to make it go up? I've never done a faithless cycle so sorry if i sound crazy lol

Yes the sponge filter is cycled and when its in my 10 gallon my ammonia is 0 nitrites 0 nitrates 5-10 but when I moved it to my 29 gallon the ratings were ammonia 1.5 nitrites 5+ and nitrates 5-10 and I dont know why the sponge filter is for a 40 gallon tank.

Ammonia has gone down from 4 to 1.5 in a day...

Ok. So wheres the ammonia coming from?

I got my ammo at a food lion..Just make sure it straight ammo with no lemon scent or anything..It was like 1.29 for a gallon....

Im not sure if the sponge filter will fit... its huge can I not just let it run in that tank say for like a month while the hob filter build up BB?

Where can I get straight ammonia or what can I use to make it go up? I've never done a faithless cycle so sorry if i sound crazy lol

Hmmm. So is the plan for the sponge filter to go back on the 10 gallon or to run that and the HOB on the 29?

Hmmm. So is the plan for the sponge filter to go back on the 10 gallon or to run that and the HOB on the 29?

I will run both for a month or maybe a little longer so the BB can build up in the HOB and then i will move the sponge filter back I dont like it taking up so much tank space

Just did another water test
Am 0.5-1ppm
Nitrite 5ppm
Nitrite 5ppm

Should I try a water change?

When I filled up the tank I put in tetra aquasafe plus water conditioner and dechlorinator and added API quick start.

Is there a lot of rotting plant matter? I don't know why else you would have ammonia/nitrite readings like that.

Not that I can find I scooped all the leaves that fell off the first day...

Not that I can find I scooped all the leaves that fell off the first day...

Hmmm. Could there be a snail rotting under the gravel? I don't know why else you'd get that. Could it be your substrate?

Edit: Nevermind about substrate.

I'll look when I get home it could my the water my town was under a boil order when I filled it up didn't get the call until I got done filling it -.- maybe thats it ill do a water change and see if thay helps

Well checked my parameters today and my
Am is 0 - 0.25ppm (which is what my tap water reads so it usually doesn't ever get all the way to 0 :( )
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

So I guess it was just cycling through the water

Moved everyone over my DG doesn't know what to do with all his new swimming space :)

So far so good everyone's doing well added a few more neons and a few cories.

My amazon swords turning yellow though any ideas? Dosing co2 booster everyday flourish 3X a week and API root tabs. Lights 7,000k - 10,000k 9 hours (I know not the best or most accurate light but it's what I got to work with.)

Sent from my Xoom using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok so update moved my amazon sword to my betta tank where it will have a flourite substrate it already looks better. Everything else seems to be doing well:)

Also added some serpaes today they're looking good and brightened up a lot already

Back
Top Bottom