New's 29 gallon tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just some picture updates

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1408667429112.jpg
    1408667429112.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 1408667449003.jpg
    1408667449003.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 55
Going to trim the star repens here when I get time to see if I can't get them to from horizontal instead of vertical. I've heard if you trim them from growing up they'll start to grow out. Which is perfect since I would really like them to carpet.

Going to trim the star repens here when I get time to see if I can't get them to from horizontal instead of vertical. I've heard if you trim them from growing up they'll start to grow out. Which is perfect since I would really like them to carpet.

Sounds good. I think have S Porto Velho which will carpet more easily I think than S Repens if you want some.

I'll might just see how to a repens do saving up for a new light atm so trying not to make any other plant purchases till I can get to medium light so they'll actually grow (;

I'll might just see how to a repens do saving up for a new light atm so trying not to make any other plant purchases till I can get to medium light so they'll actually grow (;

Alright sounds good. I agree saving for new equipment is important.

If you trim them they will still grow up. However, the side shoots will grow and add to thickness of the carpet. So, yes you are correct on that. Combine that with replanting the trimmings and you will have a carpet in a short amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok thanks for confirming that for me I'm not always sure bc of the contradicting information I find. Do i just use scissors? Sorry new to trimming lol

Lol ok I'll try that seems a lot easier

Sorry it's been awhile not a lot has been going on have a video update here as soon as I figure out how to upload it lol

Here's my update suggestions welcome can't wait to hear what everyone thinks I know it's not amazing but so far I'm happy with the progress

I could not get the video file to play. It would load in the mobile app but not play.
I created a YouTube account and posted a few videos there. Have not posted the links to this forum yet.

Ok I will try that thanks fresh!

Yea I need to get some more plants just not sure what to get... low light low tech setting up a diy CO2 system here this week though*excited*

I never know what to say during videos so hopefully the background music will cover up any heavy breathing :)
Bacopa caroliniana should be fine as a background plant. You can trim those star repens; I find a pair a scissors works with small plants such as these. If you need more give me a shout. I may be trimming mine in a week or so and I have no room for the trimmings.
When you start with DIY CO2 you might want to remove/plug the air line that feeds the power head. The agitation will remove some of the CO2 you are adding. You may not see the benefits of CO2 right away; it took several weeks for my plants to respond.

I never know what to say during videos so hopefully the background music will cover up any heavy breathing :)
Bacopa caroliniana should be fine as a background plant. You can trim those star repens; I find a pair a scissors works with small plants such as these. If you need more give me a shout. I may be trimming mine in a week or so and I have no room for the trimmings.
When you start with DIY CO2 you might want to remove/plug the air line that feeds the power head. The agitation will remove some of the CO2 you are adding. You may not see the benefits of CO2 right away; it took several weeks for my plants to respond.

I didnt really know what to say either lol but I didn't want to type everything I was thinking out lol mt cories keep digging up my star repens trimmings any advice on how to keep them from floating? Ok on the powerhead will do (;

Actually the voice over was very helpful in describing what was going on in there.
Initially when I was planting star repens, they were very small and I used toothpicks to keep them I'm place. Even still, the MTS would uproot them. Aside from them and a single Amano shrimp, I have no bottom dwellers. I would try out the toothpicks for now. Once the roots get established they plants will stay put. I have move established star repens before and found that they can have a large root system.

Back
Top Bottom