Night Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emmamc91

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all..

Not been on here for a while... Just moved into a new apartment with my aquarium now in my living room... Was just wondering (to add to the aesthetics of the room) if for when I turn my built in twin t5s off, I could use something bright enough to cast some light throughout the tank, yet dim enough so as not to cause a massive algae attack or affect my green phantom..? Just wondering if anyone else has a dim light for night time? Or if someone knows how I could obtain one?

Thanks

Emma xx

Marineland sells those bubble LED's that you can get with the blue nite lights on them. If you don't want to use the bubbler, you don't have to hook that part up. I have two of them in my 37 gallon community tank with the white lights to light up my background. Most of your LED set ups come with the blue night light, so it should work fine.

Moonlight!

What your looking for is a light often referred to as a moon light. They usually consist of a group of blue or white LEDs. They make a cool glow in your aquarium. That small amount of light will not affect algae growth at all, and your fish shouldn't be bothered by it. Moonlights resemble... well... moon light and could even boost a more natural feeling to your fish. So in short, go for it! algae growth and your fish won't be affected and they are awesome. If you google them you should find somewhere to buy it.

hope I helped, FishFan :)

Hey Emma
I have moonlight in my tank.I just added an extra strip bulb.A blue one and I have tuners on my lights (very cheap from B&Q like £2.99 or so.My blue light comes in at 16:45 for 15 mins or so and then my white light kicks in.The blue then goes off.The white is on till 20.00 ish.Then the blue comes back on untill 22.00.You can overlap the timers to suit what you want.

Marineland sells those bubble LED's that you can get with the blue nite lights on them. If you don't want to use the bubbler, you don't have to hook that part up. I have two of them in my 37 gallon community tank with the white lights to light up my background. Most of your LED set ups come with the blue night light, so it should work fine.

This is what I use. I just suction cupped it to the bottom of the tank lid so it aims down. You don't even notice it's there until it's on.

No air bubbles and it's not in the tank shining up or taking space.

It looks fine. I use one blue one on my 29 fake coral tank and a white one on my 55 planted style.

I usually put them on when people are over and we watch a movie or if someone is staying over to light up the living room at night for them.

It doesn't seem to bug the fish and where the six LEDs shine has no extra algae on it or anything.

They are really cheap too, compared to dedicated moonlights for corals and stuff. LED Accent Lighting for Aquariums: Marineland LED Bubble Wands Accent Lighting

hpiguy said:
This is what I use. I just suction cupped it to the bottom of the tank lid so it aims down. You don't even notice it's there until it's on.

No air bubbles and it's not in the tank shining up or taking space.

That's a brilliant way to do it! It's waterproof so it makes sense to attach it under your hood. I never would've thought to use it like that. I just use a moonlight screwed into the top of my hood. It's a TruLumen that I found on Amazon. It's a little to bright though. I ordered the 10000K and the blue to use together. I prefer the look of the white moonlight but as it was just insanely bright so I gave it to my brother for his 75 gallon reef and he says it's a bit to bright even for that.

I didn't think those suction cups were going to hold, but they work great. I ran the cable between the hood hinge area and the glass section, where the light sits, it goes up over the light and down to the transformer.

Since it's mounted on the part of the hood that flips up, it doesn't interfere with the normal light at all, and when it's off, you have no idea it's there.

There is a nice plug between the transformer and the light, the light has a long cable on it. So you can just put that connector together when you want it on.

It's near impossible to get a good pic of the blue light effect with a cell phone cam, but it looks nice at night.

I'll try to get a pic of the white colored light and post it. The white light is suction cupped to the bottom of the center brace of the 55.

img_2093167_0_1185e937cb303ba2bca779bb780928f2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom