Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thats awesome nils. My woman is super jealous. She loves stingrays.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thats awesome nils. My woman is super jealous. She loves stingrays.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dude.....it's all luck. Like a gumboil machine, you never know what you're gonna get to of the water. At least tat's what it's like for me, I don't go for a certain species. Stingrays are cool until they stab you. Not lethal but it does hurt....a lot. I'd describe it as lava or fire being injected into your veins and traveling through your arm or leg or wherever you got stung. It sucks.

Okay so here's an idea:

Should I upgrade this tank to a 10? Reason being is that I currently have the 10 set up as a GBR fry grow out and I think it might make more sense for the puffs to have a larger tank and the shrimplets to have more hiding spots from the puffs. I think it would also be easier to aquascape, fitting more hardscape and plants into the equation.

Pros of setting up the 10:

Puffs have more space
Shrimp have more hide holes
More plants/hardscape
I can finally get a black substrate (hope it helps fish/shrimp colors)
Easier to maintain water quality
Might be able to get another puff :brows:

Cons:

Would need to get a bigger light
Buy some nutrient rich substrate (want to do that this go around, suggestions for that are welcome)
Would like to upgrade filter
I might mess up the balance I have

So right now the main issues are getting a bigger light, it would be pretty expensive. SO far I'm looking at the Finnex Fugeray or the Finnex 24/7. Which one would you guys say grows plants better? Also, for the filter, I'm probably going to run the current HOB just for extra flow around the tank and a small canister in the back.

If I do end up doing it, I think I'm going to get a lot more blyxa/crypts. I love crypts and blyxa is another favorite. So far I'm thinking a rock to the right, spaced off of the wall, substrate there is a sloped a little higher and then plant blyxa all around the front of it but leaving the space around the front open a bit. Then maybe plant an amazon sword behind it. Fill the rest of the open tank space in with the plants from the tank now and crypts. Let me know what you guys think.

I say yes simply for the sake of "Nil's 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G upgrade to 10G DP Build!"

I think it could definitely be worth it. I just recommend getting a good hard scape before you make any final decisions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding lighting, between the FugeRay and the 24/7, you are looking at a difference of about $28. Why pay more for the latter? The ability to dim the lighting for one. The FugeRay, which produces light in the medium range, is not adjustable. The 24/7 is and you can adjust it to the plant's needs. If you ever decide to go medium-high (for carpeting and harder to grow plants) the 24/7 will allow you to go that route.
That is a bit to pay for a 24" light (~$87 on Amazon). Spend about $8 more for a 30" module and you can light up a 20L or 29. Don't mean to complicate your options. Just something to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Regarding lighting, between the FugeRay and the 24/7, you are looking at a difference of about $28. Why pay more for the latter? The ability to dim the lighting for one. The FugeRay, which produces light in the medium range, is not adjustable. The 24/7 is and you can adjust it to the plant's needs. If you ever decide to go medium-high (for carpeting and harder to grow plants) the 24/7 will allow you to go that route.
That is a bit to pay for a 24" light (~$87 on Amazon). Spend about $8 more for a 30" module and you can light up a 20L or 29. Don't mean to complicate your options. Just something to consider.

Don't think I'm going to be able to get a 20 or a 29. Just want to use what I have right now, plus I don't even thing I would have the space for it. Good suggestion though, it would make sense to spend a little extra for a bigger tank.

Think I'm going to do it mid January, by then I should have enough saved up for the light. Probably going to invest in the plant substrate too. What would you guys recommend as the substrate? I've seen a lot of different ones and don't know what the best would be. I prefer a sandy substrate over gravel though, that has to be a must. Or if it is gravel I could put that under some black sand. Just need recommendations for it first.

Originally, I was looking at the Zoo Med Mini canister 10 for this, but just had the HOB lying around so I didn't buy the new filter. HOB isn't that great for bigger tanks, I'll probably take the media out, stick it in the canister and just leave the HOB on for flow. Or just leave the media in for extra filtration. I'll just run a sponge in there for clean up.

For lighting, I think the 24/7 would be sick. I like all the different features on it, and even though I probably wouldn't use the thunderstorm or clouds etc. lighting regularly it is a nice add on. Finnex products never disappoint. Would adding the clip light on the tank right now along with the 24/7 be too much? Just unnecessary? Probably is, especially if the 24/7 has all the high lights.

I'm pretty excited for this. More space for me to work with, easier to maintain balance and maybe another puff :brows: We'll see about that one. There are some really small ones at the LFS though.....

Going to be looking for blyxa japonica in a few weeks, not looking to buy any now just I think I'm going to post in the Classifieds asking for some. If anyone has any for a good price tell me, I'll try and buy it in a few weeks. Anyways, that's just my basic layout for the upgrade. Stay tuned!

Okay found a cheaper and better mini canister, the TOM Mini canister. $10 (big difference in my budget :D ) and 85 GPH. Better reviews so I think I'm gonna grab this one sometime soon.

Ok forgot about the TOM lol. I ordered the mini Zoo Med one yesterday, should be here on Thursday or Friday. Can't wait to get it all hooked up!

Decided that I'm going to dirt this tank. Have a couple questions about it though:

1) Should I expect any trite/trate/ammonia spikes in the days after setting up the tank with dirt?

2) Thinking red clay mixed in with it under there along with some root tabs, would root tabs still be necessary if I use clay?

3) My plan is to set up the tank, hook up the HOB with some seeded material from the current tank, and just test until all tests are good. Shouldn't take more than a few days, right? Probably going to be some algae blooms as well right?

Thinking of doing oto's in here too, I know it's kinda hit or miss but they're pretty neat and I think I have a good source for them. Maybe a 3rd puff too. Still thinking up stocking, but between the RCS and 3 puffs I think I'm full. If algae starts messing stuff up I'll grab a couple oto's.

Nils, that's a neat plan for the dirt tank, are you building a 10 gal now for this?

Clem

I believe Caliban is the expert on sorted tanks... Check his soul in a planted tank thread out..Good luck dude!

I believe Caliban is the expert on sorted tanks... Check his soul in a planted tank thread out..Good luck dude!

Yes sir, I did read up on Caliban to recall , he's a definite authority on that.

Clem

Back
Top Bottom