Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great Nils!

The floaters mix is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! Yeah, I have a ton of floaters, I have to get rid of some of them.

Honestly, I've been thinking about doing a rescape. The blyxa garden isn't as full anymore, there are patches in the middle of the tank where you can see the bare sand and that plus the fact that I feel the plants could do better in different spots. It's not for sure yet, just a thought. Wished a mini canister for this tank, would get rid of the eye sore HOB and I think it would make for some better flow throughout the tank. Co2 gave me a scare today, wasn't running when I got home from school. Switched the timer into off, then on and it started up again :)

For the potential rescape, I was thinking some spider wood in here. Will spider wood leach tannins just as bad as mopani wood? If at all? I don't want tannins in the water, which happened in the 2.5 before this tank. Completely dark, I want to be able to see my fish. I just really like the look of spider wood, maybe plant the blyxa under it as sort of a "garden" again, I think it would look neat.

Purigen packets ($12) will remove tannins very well. They're slim so you can add one in the hob. They do not otherwise affect water quality in the least. All wood will leach some tannins, even if you boil it forever.

I feel you on the mopani, but I love the look of it-hence the Purigen.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Just saw some sweet pieces at the LFS, but I don't know if I want to spend $36 on a small piece of driftwood. I think if I go for a rescape I'll just do some kind of rocks. I like the small piece of petrified wood I have right now, might get a few more pieces of that, plus I have a sweet piece of rock that I would probably use. Was looking up some pics for inspiration, came up with this:
7.jpg

I like the mountain type design and having the plants planted around it. Could do what they did, put some small anubias or something on the rocks. Then maybe circle the whole thing in blyxa. I just don't have that hardscape touch. I'll figure it out, just gotta decide what I want to do first.

Look at pictures of actual landscape for help there. Utah is incredible for that. I've driven through a few times. It's easy to imagine tectonic plates crashing together, jagged edges of gargantuan land mass being thrust in the air from the force. Absolutely incredible. The surface of the world is made of these places.

Perhaps thinking how it came to be will help you achieve shapes you'll like. Tell the story style of thing. This particular rock came up in a heaving motion, pushed up by denser layers being shoved under it. It settled, weather caused pieces to wear away and fall here, and here. Wind and weather helped turn barren sand fecund in these spaces, and these things grew. Now we have this and it's beautiful!

My Spiderwood didn't make the water very dark but I did have a year of tinted water, a little yellow nothing of an issue really. I didn't do any boiling or soaking though. It is hard to keep your hands of of rescaping...when you see something you think was great when you do it but over time you see issues you want to fix. It is natural but can cause the tank to be almost like starting over and not having the serenity of a seasoned working tank (no issues, just running like clock work). You could do a mini recape, by moving a few plants or adding a stone or DW.

Sometimes one can enjoy the challenges of a complete rescape. Just depends what you are in the mood for.

Caught some of these guys yesterday and thought I would share here because it is my puffer tank :)
img_3321842_0_077660cc11c4a2a4e557d19b955d70f6.jpg

img_3321842_1_9041b4596ce213f17543f84e03a3249d.jpg

img_3321842_2_e36874da17f39c285e9abd3fc1c4a68b.jpg

img_3321842_3_af9cda3b4baa053bcac5d6df3480233f.jpg

Don't worry, the puffs were able to expel the air when they got to the water and swam away fine. Caught these guys in Charleston, SC

Caught some of these guys yesterday and thought I would share here because it is my puffer tank :)
img_3321924_0_077660cc11c4a2a4e557d19b955d70f6.jpg

img_3321924_1_9041b4596ce213f17543f84e03a3249d.jpg

img_3321924_2_e36874da17f39c285e9abd3fc1c4a68b.jpg

img_3321924_3_af9cda3b4baa053bcac5d6df3480233f.jpg

Don't worry, the puffs were able to expel the air when they got to the water and swam away fine. Caught these guys in Charleston, SC

Niice! looks pretty cool,

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ha-ha poor puffs! Now I want to go fishing....

Lol he got away fine, was able to get the hook at of those killer teeth, you could really see how they use them to destroy clam shells and such. Just came back from the local pier, caught a stingray, only lost 1 hook to it and got to keep my rig :) What do you guys fish for?

Coming home tonight to my tanks, fingers crossed the fish are ok. Was only gone 4 days, most concerned about the GBR wigglers

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lol he got away fine, was able to get the hook at of those killer teeth, you could really see how they use them to destroy clam shells and such. Just came back from the local pier, caught a stingray, only lost 1 hook to it and got to keep my rig :) What do you guys fish for?

In Maine? We fish for walruses and polar bears ;) In all seriousness Maine has all sorts of great fish to catch- I mostly freshwater fish for bass, trout and salmon (we have native wild populations of both Brook trout and Atlantic salmon). Not to mention eels, brown bullhead catfish; we've even got cusk aka burbot which is the only freshwater member of the cod family :D

Great pics there! I thought you had gone looney and were catching fish from your tank - for a split second anyway, lol! Very nice and looks like fun. Did you say it is snowing??? Oh wait that's where I live!

Great pics there! I thought you had gone looney and were catching fish from your tank - for a split second anyway, lol! Very nice and looks like fun. Did you say it is snowing??? Oh wait that's where I live!

Lol yeah it was really warm. back here in dinky old Mooresville, foggy and rainy and cold. I don't think I would ever fish for my own fish, but my older brother is another story.......

Nice pics dude! I haven't been fishing in NC in years. Where do you live?

I actually caught these on vacation in Charleston, SC. This was at the Mount Pleasant pier, really awesome at high tide.:cool: Tons of sheepshead, croakers, sea bass, red fish, you name it. I live near lake Norman in Mooresville, good bass and catfish fishing.
Have a little public pier in the neighborhood in SC, caught a stingray there yesterday.....those things give you a scare with the barb hanging out the back. :eek:

Back
Top Bottom