Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks Rocky! I'll use whatever cryptocorynes I can get my hand's on, but I'll keep an eye out for those. The filter is set up and running, and in a month's time I'll set it up and won't have to cycle. One question: Is it alright if I let the filter run on the 16 and not on the 2.5? Would it kill the BB when I hang the filter on the new tank with new water?

Thanks Rocky! I'll use whatever cryptocorynes I can get my hand's on, but I'll keep an eye out for those. The filter is set up and running, and in a month's time I'll set it up and won't have to cycle. One question: Is it alright if I let the filter run on the 16 and not on the 2.5? Would it kill the BB when I hang the filter on the new tank with new water?

As long as there's not a serious change in temperature or something i don't see why it would matter. I've done this for quite a few of my tanks that I've stacked filtration.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks Caleb. I'm ordering lights today, so hopefully they'll be here by Thursday, Friday the latest. Made some $$$$ last night at a school party, found some school magnetic bumper stickers and sold them $4 a piece......pretty successful :lol: Stay tuned for updates!

Thanks Caleb. I'm ordering lights today, so hopefully they'll be here by Thursday, Friday the latest. Made some $$$$ last night at a school party, found some school magnetic bumper stickers and sold them $4 a piece......pretty successful :lol: Stay tuned for updates!

Hustlin'!

Can't wait to see it all together! As for seeding the new filter on your 16, it'll be fine. Just make sure when you fill the 2.5 (or is it a 5 now?) That you use dechlorinator, otherwise it will kill the BB.

Thanks Hensley! I can't wait for the lights to come and for the filter to finish, I ordered the light this morning! It is a 5.5 now, and I'll be using the water from the 2.5 plus I'll use spring water to fill up the remaining 2.5 gallons, but I'll add Prime to alleviate some of the stress for the fish. That's it right now.

Yea it is! SO MUCH ALGAE!!! I don't even know what the problem is. I guess I should stop dosing Co2 because I have root tabs in there and I might be over fertilizing. Pleas whelp if you know what I can do to prevent algae. It's not diatoms, but it looks a lot like hair algae. Please help.

Yeah, I was thinking about a nerite snail to control the algae. I don't think my puffer would bother it all, if I get one bigger than him. The crayfish is my main concern because I don't know if he would try to get on the inside and eat him. I think I'll try it once I set up the 5.5 and then if there's a problem I could always move it to my 16. Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven't read the entire thread but wanted to post, if anyone is still reading and cares about this trifle, that tanks under 5 gallons DO cycle. I've experimented with 1 and 3 repeatedly, just to see if I could get it to cycle. The 1 goes overnight with a 2" square of established media, the 3 takes a few days. Both will without established media, just takes forever.

My 3 stayed cleaner however with a ton of plants and without a cycled filter.

I have to agree that you should keep looking for something bigger. The marineland/tetra 5 gallon crescent isn't a bad size. And there are cubes, watch craigslist and you might end up with a nice rimless.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

New 2.5 Gallon Build!

As for the algae, what is the nitrate level? A tank that size probably needs water changes every few days.

Are you sure about the type of algae? It isn't blue green algae is it?

I don't think a nerite will clear much. Malaysian trumpet snails might. Root tabs don't tend to add much that would provoke algae. My bet is the water needs more changing.

I have a 5.5 gallon now, and I was really confused as well when people stated that the 2.5 can't cycle. I do a 50% water change every week and a half, this keeps my nitrates are under control. I'll probably do a PWC tomorrow when I get the chance. As for algae, It's mostly a dark green and black almost in the filter, but in the tank just dark green strands hanging off the leaves. Thanks for the tips, I'll see what a nerite can do in the 5.5 once I set it up and if there's too much algae. If it doesn't change anything, I'll move it to my 16.

When you say nitrates are under control, what do you mean exactly? I'm really skeptical that level of water changing in that size tank is adequate.

When I say I have them under control, I mean 10-15 ppm. I really don't have a problem with them. I do adequate water changes and I actually think that too many water changes can't be good, because every time you do one it hardly gives the bacteria and all the good stuff any chance to establish before you take it all out again and replace it. That's just what I personally believe.

When I say I have them under control, I mean 10-15 ppm. I really don't have a problem with them. I do adequate water changes and I actually think that too many water changes can't be good, because every time you do one it hardly gives the bacteria and all the good stuff any chance to establish before you take it all out again and replace it. That's just what I personally believe.

Water changes don't remove BB, its on surfaces, not the water column. The only thing I could think of that would make excessive water changes bad is if your source water had unstable pH. Look at discus tanks, they change water very excessively and maintain pristine conditions.

That said, I think your water change schedule is adequate.

What PP said about the BB not being in the water is correct. There's almost no bacteria in the water. I've had algae issues at 10-15 nitrates ... Maybe try less light and some extra water changes?

Thanks for the tips guys. I have my lights on timers and it goes from 7:30 in the morning to 3:30 in the afternoon. I've had fish get the whirling disease after doing water changes everyday for a week, and read that it can come from sudden pH changes. I guess that scared me of doing too many water changes too close together. Picked up some water today to do the WC sometime, probably tomorrow, and they lights are coming at any time in between today and Tuesday, super excited for them!

Maybe try twice a week?

One more thought ... Any chance you're over feeding?

I don't overfeed, I know that for sure. I only feed what until puffer has a nice round belly, and anything he drops (which is very rare) is picked up and eaten by the crayfish. I feed the crayfish a sinking stick around every 4th day, and that can't be a big part of nitrates. Doing a PWC today when I get back from folding boxes for some $$$$ at the pizza place. Also, the light came today, and it look great! Everything works! So glad that I'm one step closer to the finished product! Also, had some ideas for scape. I was thinking about keeping the current scape as it is, and then on the left side of the tank make a mound of sand and stick a PVC pipe under it to make a cave for cray. I don't know if the sand on top would stay or not, but any thoughts are appreciated. Also, I was thinking about an Amazon sword behind the rocks. Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom