Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long does the puffer eat, till he has a nice round belly? And how long does it take the crayfish to eat its sticks?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It takes him maybe one or two large worms, and the crayfish will sit for at least 2 hours in his cave eating his stick. I just picked up a Minibow for $5 on a yard sale....filter, light and tank! I was thinking about taking PVC pipe and hot gluing sand to it, then sticking it on top of the mound of sand to the left so the crayfish has a cave to hide in. Thanks guys!

Sounds like possible over feeding. Fish don't know when to stop themselves, letting them eat till they appear round bellied isn't usually a good thing?

My fish would eat 4 scoops of food, but they finish 2 scoops in 2 minutes and the 2 minute rule is a good one for their species. They're a year old and healthy and the tank stays clean. Fish that eat more than they need just output more waste.

I realize puffers and crayfish are different from many freshwater fish but that sounds like a lot of food for a fish as small as a dwarf puffer.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Thanks TMRC. I've kept puffers for a while now and have never had any problems. I know that you're just trying to help Trenna, but things don't always have to be so perfect and every last corner of every subject has to be investigated in this hobby. Right now I'm juts waiting on the filter, it's been going for about a week now. How long do you guys suggest I leave it on the tank? Did a 65% water change yesterday, both fish still look happy. Also cleaned up algae but uprooted micro sword in the process. :banghead::facepalm:

How long should I still leave the filter to seed? It's been running for 2 weeks now.

How long should I still leave the filter to seed? It's been running for 2 weeks now.

A minimum of a month. I've run sponge filters on an established tank just to see how long it took for them to be able to instantly convert ammonia to nitrates when introduced to a new tank. A month was the least amount of time it took.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Nigel. I guess it'll be a while. I found some plant bulbs pretty cheap at PetCo and wanted to grow them into the space on the left. Anyone have any experience with these? Whether or not I'll be able to grow them?Thanks!

Thanks Nigel. I guess it'll be a while. I found some plant bulbs pretty cheap at PetCo and wanted to grow them into the space on the left. Anyone have any experience with these? Whether or not I'll be able to grow them?Thanks!

I bought a pack of those a few years back for a betta tank. I think it was like a 50% success rate. The ones that grew took off and did great, the others kept floating up. I researched and saw people say just leave them and they'll eventually sink and start growing but mine never did. I'm pretty sure the package said you could mail in any bulbs that didn't grow and they'd replace them if you want to go through the hassle, overall though for the $5-$6 I paid I enjoyed the final product.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks again. I already have a few established bulbs growing out in my 16 so I'll just take a couple from there. We tried these with my little brothers beta tank and since December when we planted them nothing's happened. Is it possible for them to be out in the air for too long? I'm guessing that would be the case with these that never grew.

Does anyone know about the bulbs? Sorry about the pause in between my last post, didm't find the time to pst anything. Getting closer to setting it up, getting reallllyyy excited!

Thanks. I think I'll stick with a cryptocoryne in that space. Having a crisis right now with my cory catfish, all getting the same parasite and I have no idea where it came from, so I'm kind of keeping off on this build until I figure this out because I don't want the parasite to be passed on into the filter going on the 5.5, so you can see why I'm kind of at a crisis. GBR, puffer, crayfish and shrimp are all fine though.

Yea I guess the money sin't worth the risk. Decided I'm going to fill up the tank this weekend, scape it, and just hang on the Aqueon 10 with the current filter cartridge running in the 2.5 because of the parasites in my 16. Which means I have to dry the sponge and Biomax out to completely kill off anything in it. The scape I'm doing Saturday-Sunday isn't final, just with what I have right nowWhat do you guys think? Oh also do I have to move the substrate because of BB? I want to ditch that substrate I have right now and go with white sand because black/white mix looks kind of tacky. Does it have a ton of BB that would be taken away and cause a mini cycle?

Yea I guess the money sin't worth the risk. Decided I'm going to fill up the tank this weekend, scape it, and just hang on the Aqueon 10 with the current filter cartridge running in the 2.5 because of the parasites in my 16. Which means I have to dry the sponge and Biomax out to completely kill off anything in it. The scape I'm doing Saturday-Sunday isn't final, just with what I have right nowWhat do you guys think? Oh also do I have to move the substrate because of BB? I want to ditch that substrate I have right now and go with white sand because black/white mix looks kind of tacky. Does it have a ton of BB that would be taken away and cause a mini cycle?

Nope. This isn't saltwater so very little BB lives in the sand bed. I would replace anyway because no matter how much you wash it there will always be some little food and waste bits you miss.

Caleb

Nope. This isn't saltwater so very little BB lives in the sand bed. I would replace anyway because no matter how much you wash it there will always be some little food and waste bits you miss.

Caleb

Alright sweet. I have half a bag of sand left, so I might still have to go and buy some. Didn't know that with substrate, good to keep in mind. It has a ton of dead java moss and poop and all that fun stuff in it so I'm glad I get to ditch it. Right now algae is my only problem. It hasn't grown anymore but it isn't falling off plants and stuff either, so I need to manually remove it :banghead: Other than that, everything is fine right now.

Haha it's not BBA. I had a bad case of that in my 16, but the shrimp cleaned that up real fast. It's dark green to light green and sometimes grows in clusters and looks like it traps air bubbles in it. Other times it looks like Hair algae. It's weird but I'm hoping to get rid of it when I change the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom