Nils 2.5G upgrade to 5.5G DP Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok so here's the update! All plants are doing amazing! Not seeing any growth yet but everything is still alive. I was also wondering about maybe getting a second puffer, Richard seems really lonely. I've seen people with 2-3 puffers in 5 gallon tanks that were hardly planted, so I think I should be fine. If anything goes wrong I can always return the second puffer. What do you guys think?

If you can keep the tank clean and them healthy I don't see a problem with it. They are small dudes so it's not like they are cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ehh, my 10 gallon is fairly heavily decorated/planted but my puffers still go at it fairly often and I only have 2. I think it's kinda a crapshoot whether it works or not because I've seen 5 gallon tanks with a dozen dwarfs (NOT recommending that obviously). Give it a shot but only if you have a permanant "plan b" lined up.

If you can keep the tank clean and them healthy I don't see a problem with it. They are small dudes so it's not like they are cramped.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah I'm not really worrying about space or bioload, more about aggression. I remember when I put 2 in my 2.5 gallon, and it was okay for 3 days until one decided it would be a good idea to steal the others spot from under the filter. I think that's all I have to say :ROFLMAO: But yeah I am going to try it, might pick him up sometime this week once I get the chance. If it doesn't work I'll just bring the puffer back. Hopefully I end up with 1 male and a female, not because of breeding but because of aggression. I've read it's really really hard to judge sexes in these fish. Eh, we'll see.

Ok so it has been a while since I have posted an update! So here it is. The plants are growing very well, puffer and crayfish are doing really well and seem to be happy. I did a water change today and rinsed filter media, it really surprises me how much poop these guys produce in a couple weeks theta gets caught in the filter! Still waiting on my LFS to get puffers in, I have decide to try it and just bring it back if there is any problem with aggression. I only have one question now: I have a ton of algae growing on my white sand and it looks really bad. Does anyone know how to fix this and get the algae away? It is weird because I definitely do not overfed and the lights are only on from 7:30 to 1 in the afternoon. But other than that everything is still going good ����

Ok so I think I might be doing DIY Co2 sometime soon. I heard somewhere that Co2 helps prevent and stop algae growth. I don't know how true this is so I someone knows this isn't true please feel free to tell me. Also, can someone tell me a good Co2 mixture? I have heard a lot of different ones but I want to hear from someone who has actually used this one and knows it works. Thanks!

Ok so I think I might be doing DIY Co2 sometime soon. I heard somewhere that Co2 helps prevent and stop algae growth. I don't know how true this is so I someone knows this isn't true please feel free to tell me. Also, can someone tell me a good Co2 mixture? I have heard a lot of different ones but I want to hear from someone who has actually used this one and knows it works. Thanks!

I got no experience with DIY CO2 (yet :D) but it does help combat algae.

Caleb

Alright cool. I have to get the green light from the dictator (aka Mom) first for Co2 but I don't think it will be too hard. Thanks! :D

Na it's just a yeast reaction in a plastic bottle. Sure it won't be too hard :)

Caleb

So I got the green light to do it. All I need now is to order a cheap diffuser, buy some yeast and pick up some silicone tubing. Anyone know any mixtures for the Co2? Can't wait for this. Will the Co2 make the algae go away or just stop I from growing? If it just makes it sop growing, I might see if I can add some kind of algae eating critter, maybe a nerite snail or (don't know if this is a good idea) one or two oto's (maybe) Yesterday I made a trip to the LFS to pick up some blackworms because my culture mysteriously died. All the worms just disappeared, but the ones I got yesterday are still doing good. The people at the LFS also told me how to tell gender of puffers :D Apparently you have to look at them from the top and if they are speckled at the front of their head and the speckles continue onto heir back a bit then it is a male. If it doesn't have these speckles it is a female. Pretty cool. I have started dosing API Co2 Booster every day now and the anacharis has really started taking off. The two or three stems I have in there are growing like crazy, and now I'm kind of scared to use Co2 with them lol. :ROFLMAO:

Co2 doesn't make algae stop growing, it just makes it harder for it to grow.

There is tons of YouTube videos on how to do the yeast mix. You just have to play around and find what works best.

Caleb

Ok so now all I have to do is to just get some opinions on diffusers. I was thinking about doing the DIY version of a Co2 diffuser, using a cotton ball or a cigarette filter. Anyone have DIY diffusers they have made before? I was also thinking about this one off of Ebay: Aquarium CO2 Diffuser Check Valve U Shape Glass Tube Suction Cup for 4x6mm Tube | eBay it has all the parts for cheaper than anything I could get at my local stores. Do I need to be concerned about the fish not having enough oxygen at night, because of the plants producing Co2 along with me injecting it? Should I just take the diffuser out at night and put it back in for the day? I'm new to Co2 so I have no idea :ROFLMAO:

I just used the Fluval diffuser and some black airline hosing. Those glass diffusers are pretty cool though.

Caleb

Alright I will check out the Fluval diffusers. No one sells diffusers near me, so I will have to order one. Just checked out those Fluval diffusers and I found one or $7 on Ebay. Think I'm going to do that. I going on vacation to the beach for 2 weeks, leaving this Saturday, so I'll order it when I get back. Kinda worried about my puffer, and even though I have someone feeding my fish I'm not sure this is going to be good for them. :( Oh yeah, and the moss wall. It has kind of grown, not that much, isn't really working out the way I wanted it to lol. Guess I will just leave it in the 16 and see what happens.

Alright I will check out the Fluval diffusers. No one sells diffusers near me, so I will have to order one. Just checked out those Fluval diffusers and I found one or $7 on Ebay. Think I'm going to do that. I going on vacation to the beach for 2 weeks, leaving this Saturday, so I'll order it when I get back. Kinda worried about my puffer, and even though I have someone feeding my fish I'm not sure this is going to be good for them. :( Oh yeah, and the moss wall. It has kind of grown, not that much, isn't really working out the way I wanted it to lol. Guess I will just leave it in the 16 and see what happens.

Put food in ziplock bags for each day each day. That's what I did. Only feed the bags so no over feeding happens.

Caleb

Ok so I don't have a lot to say since I haven't seen my tanks in 5 days but the person who is taking care of the tanks says everything is going good.

P.S: Everyone who isn't in Charleston is missing out :D The fishing is great, the beach is really warm and the waves are big. We have been catching blue crabs, whiting, red drum and even some small sharks. Just saying :lol:

Nils, i highly recommend NOT assuming your plants "get plenty of daylight by the window". I think you need light in your hood, and it is always advised NOT to keep fish tanks from direct sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom