Nils' Tanks Expedition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got some top soil today for the 10, slowly but surely I am getting everything together. Got the heater already, all I really need now is the light, some sand and the canister. For the dirted tank, do I have to bake the dirt first to sterilize it or is it could to go out of the bag? Think I'm going to bake it just to be sure. I've read some conflicting stuff on dirted tanks about not being able to add fish for several months, being able to add fish a couple weeks after etc. Guess it really depends on how much is released from under the sand cap right? Also, when cycling the tank, will I have to feed the tank or will the soil provide enough ammonia to put the tank through a cycle? Really new to all this :)

Sweet, don't think the other one I posted comes with tubing.....think I'm going with this one now :D

Got some top soil today for the 10, slowly but surely I am getting everything together. Got the heater already, all I really need now is the light, some sand and the canister. For the dirted tank, do I have to bake the dirt first to sterilize it or is it could to go out of the bag? Think I'm going to bake it just to be sure. I've read some conflicting stuff on dirted tanks about not being able to add fish for several months, being able to add fish a couple weeks after etc. Guess it really depends on how much is released from under the sand cap right? Also, when cycling the tank, will I have to feed the tank or will the soil provide enough ammonia to put the tank through a cycle? Really new to all this :)

As for the cycling part it wouldn't hurt to toss in a cocktail shrimp or two to ensure a good cycle.

Don't bake the soil. It will kill many of the beneficial life forms that are already in the soil. You will probably get quite a bit of ammonia but the plants will not be complaining. Floating or fast growing stem plants will increase uptake. Alternatively you can use some seeded media to convert the ammonia through to nitrate which is obviously less toxic to fish and change water more often.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks Caliban! I'll have to wait then for the SunSun to come in then. I'll go ahead and add the soil today, add the sand as soon as I get it and fill her up when I get the filter. Getting that pogo. octopus this week too so I'll go ahead and let that float to soak up some trates. Floaters help soak up trates and I've got it coming out my ears in the 5.5 so there should be no problem there lol.

In the 16, male GBR is back to chasing the female. Didn't get a spawn this past week surprisingly. Just a question, how long do LFS GBR live on average? I've had this guy a while now and he's maxed out, size wise. Hopefully he'll keep going for another year. Plants are doing good in that tank as well.

Yesterday picked up some plants from the lake, some of what I suspect to be DHG (don't know exactly though) and a stem plant. Have it in a tub with Prazipro right now to kill off anything bad. Probably going to use it in the new build.

img_3327301_0_9698d710288ff22e6c73f6914c6ac0b1.jpg

Grass
img_3327301_1_b3bf0d582d5ea54445ec811ebd1e1571.jpg

Most I have read says around 2-4 years for GBR life.
With most people falling under 2 and a rare few with 4 solid years...
Wild I believe 4-6 years is not (was not ) unheard of.
IMO a lot has to do with ;
genetics,water,and then stocking.
I strongly feel in MOST cases that the GBR has to be #1 fish in tank as far as requirements being met,and dominance or better yet 'almost' a species tank with very selective company...

Sounds like you are doing well with yours...(y)

Most I have read says around 2-4 years for GBR life.
With most people falling under 2 and a rare few with 4 solid years...
Wild I believe 4-6 years is not (was not ) unheard of.
IMO a lot has to do with ;
genetics,water,and then stocking.
I strongly feel in MOST cases that the GBR has to be #1 fish in tank as far as requirements being met,and dominance or better yet 'almost' a species tank with very selective company...

Sounds like you are doing well with yours...(y)

Thanks CB! Was reading about most from an LFS only going about 2 years, surprisingly this LFS has some pretty good stock.

Actually did something towards setting up the 10 today. Got it filled with about an inch of dirt, just need to get some sand and the filter and we're back in business. Filter is scheduled to arrive Monday.....ugh. Gonna get the light not long after that.

Sorry that the plants won't make it to you by Thursday. I guess 2 day priority doesn't mean 2 days any more. You might have to cut them down depending on what size tank they go in, I left the long enough to fill in a 21" tall 75 gallon...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's okay, I'm fine with the package coming whenever and whatever the plants look like lol.

Got an offer yesterday for 4 guppies from a friends tank who's converting to salt water. Not a member here yet but I recommended the site for him :) DO you guys think I could put 4 guppies in the 16 or would the GBRs just kill them? Only the male is aggressive towards anything else in the tank. I just don't want to add them and then have them pestered to death.

Got some black sand today, went ahead and added it. Cap is somewhere in between 0.5" -1"
Seems good enough. Filter coming Monday, got the pogo already planted for the time being. Put some cling wrap over and going to mist it. Also, put a black bag on the back for the background. This build is gaining momentum!

I really like black sand, in retrospect I wish I had it in all my tanks.

Any pics to share?

Got some black sand today, went ahead and added it. Cap is somewhere in between 0.5" -1"
Seems good enough. Filter coming Monday, got the pogo already planted for the time being. Put some cling wrap over and going to mist it. Also, put a black bag on the back for the background. This build is gaining momentum!

I'd do an inch at minimum. When I did a dirted tank my big mistake was not enough sand cap. It made me hate the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I wouldn't trust the rams with the guppies. I love guppies but I think they wouldn't be smart enough to avoid the rams, and the big tails would be a target for the rams.

I did keep gups in big girl for abt a month while redoing their tank. No issues what so ever... But there is a ton of territory & hiding in there. So this may not be usual results.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom