Nitrate Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jen84

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
I've got a 26g bowfront that's been set up for about 2 months now. I just did my weekly water tests and the nitrates are giving me some problems. Ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 and the PH is 7.2, but the nitrates are almost 0. I'm stocked about 85%, with 6 zebra danios, 5 neon tetras, 2 albino cory cats, 1 male betta, and 1 apple snail. I've got a couple of live plants and the rest are plastic. I was wondering if the nitrates being that low was ok or is there something I need to change. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Assuming you are using an API nitrate test... Shake the stuffing out of that #2 bottle of the nitrate test liquid and give it few good bangs on a table then test again.

low nitrates are perfectly fine. :) most people strive for 20 and below, but anything between 20-80 isn't overly leathal. i do agree with redoing the test though. :)

Is this the API test kit?
If its is...

When I say this, I mean it:
Shake your groove thang out into that nitrate bottle #2.

For at least 30 seconds.

If your tank is heavily planted, then it should not be a problem. Are you adding anything to get rid of nitrates?

Hi everyone,
I've got a 26g bowfront that's been set up for about 2 months now. I just did my weekly water tests and the nitrates are giving me some problems. Ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 and the PH is 7.2, but the nitrates are almost 0. I'm stocked about 85%, with 6 zebra danios, 5 neon tetras, 2 albino cory cats, 1 male betta, and 1 apple snail. I've got a couple of live plants and the rest are plastic. I was wondering if the nitrates being that low was ok or is there something I need to change. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Hello jen...

I've been keeping tanks for several years and never had nitrates that low. Two months isn't very long as far as running time for a tank. I'm not a chemistry major, but either you've mistested or more likely the tank is still maturing and hasn't established the water conditions.

Honestly, I don't worry about tank conditions. I remove and replace at least half the tank water weekly and that pretty much guarantees stable tank conditions for my fish and plants.

Unless you prefer not to have a well planted tank with the real thing, I'd start adding some plants. They're natural water filters. The combination of real plants and large, weekly water changes will get your tank back on track.

Just a thought.

B

Back
Top Bottom