Nitrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Coach Pete

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I can't seem to get my nitrate below 40. I've been doing water changes every 2 weeks for last month. My tank is about 6 months old. I've had a few fish but can't keep them alive. I have a shrimp, sand sifter star and anemone right now. Should I change water once a week?

I can't seem to get my nitrate below 40. I've been doing water changes every 2 weeks for last month. My tank is about 6 months old. I've had a few fish but can't keep them alive. I have a shrimp, sand sifter star and anemone right now. Should I change water once a week?

What are you using as filtration ?

More water changes. Less fish. Less food. Might help.

I do 25-50% every week and my trates are less than 10. More fish = more ammonia. The tank should look a bit bare. Too much food = too much waste = more ammonia. I feed lightly once a day now. Good luck! I have had trouble keeping fish alive and am just starting to "get" it.

I do 25-50% every week and my trates are less than 10. More fish = more ammonia. The tank should look a bit bare. Too much food = too much waste = more ammonia. I feed lightly once a day now. Good luck! I have had trouble keeping fish alive and am just starting to "get" it.

Hob filters are nitrate factories and need cleaned once a week thats probably your main issue my waterchanges are about 10% total volume per week also a refugium with macro help my nitrates never have a reading using salifert test kit

Yeah, I used to have a 60 gallon and it seemed so much easier to maintain. I think I allowed it to cycle longer than I did this one before introducing a bunch of fish.

Yeah, I used to have a 60 gallon and it seemed so much easier to maintain. I think I allowed it to cycle longer than I did this one before introducing a bunch of fish.

If you cant do a fugi try biopellet reactor very effective at removing nitrate

Clean the filter weekly like suggested and possibly increase flow inside the tank so that particulate matter doesn't build up in dead spots. Weekly water changes are also a good idea.

Back
Top Bottom