Nitrates down /fish still struggling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Potluck

Aquarium Advice Addict
My nitrates are about 25 ppm now that i did another small water change tonight 8.5 gallons with .8 ml prime, my female angel is still not really interested in eating but maybe a flake here and a flake there, just sitting in the corner, mouth is open and she looks like she's having resperatory Struggles, as well as a red eye tetra, can i post videos on here that will be more helpful than a picture?

Tank size 55 gallon
Aqua clear 110/70 gph
Nitrate 25
nitrite 0
Ammonia 0
ph 7.4
Water temp 80

Sent from my SM-G920P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Update: Female angel did eat some veggie flakes a good helping too, so maybe shes not as stressed as i previously thought, i put food in earlier this morning and she didn't touch it, i think a lot of the fish are stressed cause they are not used to the drastic change in chemistry of the tank, so i believe it will be a good idea to leave the tank alone for a day to let them get acclimated to the new parameters seeing as i went from i'm estimating well over 160 ppm nitrate to 25 ppm nitrate in 5 days without giving them a rest, which i couldn't do because of the kordon rid ich daily water changes, even though i did a small water change tonight 8.5 gallons out of a 55 gallon tank

the red eye tetra still isn't eating, breathing rapidly just like my female angel which has been trying to lay eggs for the last 3 days but i have been doing repeated water changes so i believe that has stopped her so i'm going to leave the tank alone for a day and see if she approves, i will take a video of them and put it on here if that is okay.

Don't know if this is allowed but here's a video on a couple fish in all worried about https://youtu.be/JKzOWp433tI

My favorite parts are "Where'd he go?" and "She beats her bf" which is terrible, but I've never been one for sticking to appropriate humor.

Wish like anything I had an answer for your poor distressed fellow ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Nice camera, and nice tank. I love it. I would not worry about the one single tetra....if anything I would say he has a wound on his top back side with some secondary fungus growth. Its not bad, and would probably clear up on its own. I would hate to send you off getting more meds. Assuming no way it could be ick....then it must be some fungus. You could try three things.
A ten gallon tank or plastic tub from Walmart, some "fungus cure" containing Furan-2
Some methylene blue, found mostly at Fish specialty stores or online (please don't spend more than 6 dollars on it, it is dirt cheap stuff at a good fish store or online)
which is btw the most effective thing for fungus.
Or you could just buy a small bottle of primafix, which should work
Usually they get a little fungus like this from "bullying" by more dominant males, in fact I just euthanized a beat up tetra because sometimes they fight for mates
if you don't think its worth it, just put him down or return him to the store. I have seen my tetras get skinny and hide like that (looks like he has a wounded infected tail as well) after they have been beaten up too many times by bigger males. If you wanted to rehome him that might work too, but to "cure" him.....I would say go with the Fungus cure, (Nitrofurazone, potassium dichromate) they got it at Walmart for like 4 bucks. Its a anti-bacterial and anti-fungal /anti-microbal antiseptic, works well for a lot of stuff, and its good bacteria friendly, but you would still want to put him in a hospital tank/tub with airstone so he can get a break from the bully and get something to eat............
that is ....if you wanted to try to save him....cheaply
The angel looks fine, they often swim oddly and just "float" awkwardly.

Nice camera, and nice tank. I love it. I would not worry about the one single tetra....if anything I would say he has a wound on his top back side with some secondary fungus growth. Its not bad, and would probably clear up on its own. I would hate to send you off getting more meds. Assuming no way it could be ick....then it must be some fungus. You could try three things.
A ten gallon tank or plastic tub from Walmart, some "fungus cure" containing Furan-2
Some methylene blue, found mostly at Fish specialty stores or online (please don't spend more than 6 dollars on it, it is dirt cheap stuff at a good fish store or online)
which is btw the most effective thing for fungus.
Or you could just buy a small bottle of primafix, which should work
Usually they get a little fungus like this from "bullying" by more dominant males, in fact I just euthanized a beat up tetra because sometimes they fight for mates
if you don't think its worth it, just put him down or return him to the store. I have seen my tetras get skinny and hide like that (looks like he has a wounded infected tail as well) after they have been beaten up too many times by bigger males. If you wanted to rehome him that might work too, but to "cure" him.....I would say go with the Fungus cure, (Nitrofurazone, potassium dichromate) they got it at Walmart for like 4 bucks. Its a anti-bacterial and anti-fungal /anti-microbal antiseptic, works well for a lot of stuff, and its good bacteria friendly, but you would still want to put him in a hospital tank/tub with airstone so he can get a break from the bully and get something to eat............
that is ....if you wanted to try to save him....cheaply
The angel looks fine, they often swim oddly and just "float" awkwardly.

I actually just got some and was told to do the whole tank cause they saw fungus, fin rot on the red eye i thought was dead cause he's swimming vertical , on his side, upside down but i didnt see anything also he did not seem like that in the bag i took him to the store in, now i put him back in the tank and he's doing it again wtf im so close to giving up , also my angels mouth looks like it's peeling, so i put 5 tabs in water and let them dissolve put it in the tank and now my whole tank is green lol, i know is not something to get discouraged about but i have alot of time and money and i take extremely good care of the tank and bang i have fish dying left and right. I just don't understand it

Also should i crank my air stones up my filter moves water very well so i have the stones about mid strength

And the fish store i went to 4 tanks had ich, i didnt get fish obviously but when you are supposed to be an excellent store make sure your tanks are clean and not cloudy and definitely not have ich, will that med hurt me i got some in my eyes but washed them out immediately? And is omega food good?

OK the little thing on red eye between dorsal and and tail is normal.
I see no fungus on red eye.
I see heavy breathing...
I thought one of your angels looked like its lip was ...
Are they lip locking a lot?
Have you seen good eggs?
I had 2 females pull this on me till I had only one(shortly after I saw 2 sets of eggs in 3 days in a tank with these 2 fish).

Tabs turning water green!:eek:(probably has MG in it)
Man wash your eyes out so we can save the fish!!!(you should be ok?):eek:
What are you adding to your tank on whose recommendation?:ermm:

You want kanaplex/furan,low water temp of 75 max and water changes upped!
What is the final stocking plan for this tank????:popcorn:

OK the little thing on red eye between dorsal and and tail is normal.
I see no fungus on red eye.
I see heavy breathing...
I thought one of your angels looked like its lip was ...
Are they lip locking a lot?
Have you seen good eggs?
I had 2 females pull this on me till I had only one(shortly after I saw 2 sets of eggs in 3 days in a tank with these 2 fish).

Tabs turning water green!:eek:(probably has MG in it)
Man wash your eyes out so we can save the fish!!!(you should be ok?):eek:
What are you adding to your tank on whose recommendation?:ermm:

You want kanaplex/furan,low water temp of 75 max and water changes upped!
What is the final stocking plan for this tank????:popcorn:

Yes the angels do lip lock and she beats him up on a daily, i don't promote domestic violence so if i see them I'll separate them lol, i am using fungus guard, has furan 2 in it, there's more than one fish that's labored /acting funny so the fish store said to treat the whole tank and yes the angels have tried to lay eggs but only a few at a time not like her first 3 batches, none were successful, the whole thing is in losing fish for absolutely no apparent reason.. I am gradually lowering my water temp with my new heater aqueon pro 200 watt, it's 78 right now, the fish store i went to and took the weird acting red eye to said he has fin rot due to there's splits in his tail fin, dorsal, yes the small fin that looks like fungus isn't, it's a small fin.

The readings from the fish store
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60 (still)
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0

Im lost i don't know what's going on and really don't know how much longer i can keep this up, it's supposed to be relaxing not making me have dreams about dead fish.

Im lost i don't know what's going on and really don't know how much longer i can keep this up, it's supposed to be relaxing not making me have dreams about dead fish.

Have you considered playing golf?:nono:
You have been at trying to fix this up long enough.
50% waterchanges until nitrates are where you want(vacuum at will).
No more meds.
Get your stocking straight.
Stress will cause good fish to go bad.

Have you considered playing golf?:nono:
You have been at trying to fix this up long enough.
50% waterchanges until nitrates are where you want(vacuum at will).
No more meds.
Get your stocking straight.
Stress will cause good fish to go bad.

I can't just do no more meds i have 7 fish at least that are breathing hard this med is my last one then ill just let nature take is course, if that happens i don't know what i want to stock yet. I did clean my filter sponge tonight and it was naaaasty so i think that will help with the nitrates, I'm totally new to this 4 years and just now learning over due to false information from fish stores just to make money, so i have to sit down and figure out what i wanna do with it, stop the hobby all together or get l the right stock so fish arent stressed :puppydogeyes:

Yes the angels do lip lock and she beats him up on a daily, i don't promote domestic violence so if i see them I'll separate them lol, i am using fungus guard, has furan 2 in it, there's more than one fish that's labored /acting funny so the fish store said to treat the whole tank and yes the angels have tried to lay eggs but only a few at a time not like her first 3 batches, none were successful, the whole thing is in losing fish for absolutely no apparent reason.. I am gradually lowering my water temp with my new heater aqueon pro 200 watt, it's 78 right now, the fish store i went to and took the weird acting red eye to said he has fin rot due to there's splits in his tail fin, dorsal, yes the small fin that looks like fungus isn't, it's a small fin.

The readings from the fish store
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 60 (still)
Ph 7.4
Ammonia 0

Whatttt??? Dead fish dreams too!!!
Are we overreacting...or are the fish really sick...KaaPowww!!!!
I'm getting a bit dizzy now , and all these meds...Oh Boy?!!

Clem.

Whatttt??? Dead fish dreams too!!!
Are we overreacting...or are the fish really sick...KaaPowww!!!!
I'm getting a bit dizzy now , and all these meds...Oh Boy?!!

Clem.

Would say sick as I've lost 6 in the last month and a half, it's just something i dwell on to much butt im one of those people that try everything to keep any animal alive

Would say sick as I've lost 6 in the last month and a half, it's just something i dwell on to much butt im one of those people that try everything to keep any animal alive
Listen my friend, you have been given some expert advise here, and what CB was saying, was great advice, just listen, listen...your fish will do fine, as for you, dude its time to relax, and just enjoy your fish and just keep it simple.[emoji6]

Clem

Want to learn and maybe save your fish?

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/columnaris-and-what-i-have-learned...-1689.html

Fish Columnaris | Fungus & Saprolegnia | Treatment & Prevention

I have posted these links too many times...
You might know why?

listen too this!
Good music to help the soul!

For real on the columnaris.
That is what your angel has on its mouth and if anything else going on don't match up to links I just supplied...READ THEM AGAIN.
Kanaplex and furan 2 in another week or two,just go freshwater and cool temps for now.
The link will mention 'culling' the obviously sick.
Send them to save the rest IMO.
Dig a litltle Carlos?

want to learn and maybe save your fish?

fish columnaris | fungus & saprolegnia | treatment & prevention

i have posted these links too many times...
You might know why?

Listen too this!
good music to help the soul!

That is what your angel has on its mouth and if anything else going on don't match up to links i just supplied...read them again.
Kanaplex and furan 2 in another week or two,just go freshwater and cool temps for now.
Send them to save the rest imo.
Dig a litltle carlos?
santana???

You might know why?

listen too this!

That is what your angel has on its mouth and if anything else going on don't match up to links I just supplied...READ THEM AGAIN.
Dig a litltle Carlos?
Dig it man!!![emoji39]

You might know why?

listen too this!

Dig a litltle Carlos?

yeah im not doing any more meds , i've only tried 2 , rid ich and now the fungus med with furan in it, i know he gives good advice as my wife said to me , fish are replaceable not worth getting all stressed over

santana???
Somethings last FOREVER....(y)
Like columanris if not killed.:facepalm:
But for real..:whistle:
AQUAMARINE:dance::dance::dance::dance:(y)

Sorry Pot but seem like an understanding guy.(really not trying to derail you)
Relax and enjoy the music.
50 years old(almost 51 :ermm:)and keeping/breeding since 13/14...
Let your tank calm down and you too .(maybe you like different music?)
Read the links .
First one is easy and the second one will need extra attention or questions.
Get your water clean with water changes and use table salt to treat prophylactically(1 tablespoon per 5g max).
It is the first step in killing columnaris/creating extra skin slime(it irritates the fishes skin) and is cheap!
In a week or so we will see what is up(4 years make a week nothing)and get you straight?:angel:

yeah im not doing any more meds , i've only tried 2 , rid ich and now the fungus med with furan in it, i know he gives good advice as my wife said to me , fish are replaceable not worth getting all stressed over
You have a good wife, simple advise from her dude. Take her out for dinner , and don't forget some tunes!!!
Patience will give you better results, your doing well already with your fishkeeping, tank looks great, but these fish grow, breed, and most of all suck your wallet dry...
Fish die, heck so does everything else, except taxes...haha[emoji50]
My first planted tank gave me some problems, where most people would quit. Yea, some fish died, I had some disease too, medicated the whole tank, my plants took a big hit. I thought they were all dying, it been a while out of the hobby, but I had to relearn and got some great advise from the people here and my lfs.
Eventually it all comes together, my tank is overstocked, but most of the fish are young, or a small type. I have big Angels, couple of Discus, and a survivor GBR, and many types of tetras. I just keep things simple, but observation is key and its the first thing you see. U plan to reduce my stock...A PLAN IS IN ORDER now that I can see what fish interests me, and what I want to breed. I like them all, that's why we are here now, in this hobby!!![emoji6]

Clem

Back
Top Bottom