Nitrates from 0 to 20?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
Please refer to the unhealthy fish (topic sick fish by woodsplace1 for all details), but my question is, my nitrates have jumped from 0 to 20 in a few days. I have a sick fish, is this a sign of something...someone please help me...all my water parameters are on the other topic site...(sick fish...freshwater unhealthy fish area...)

20ppm is in the normal range for an unplanted aquarium. Nitrates are merely the end product of the cycle. If they climbed exceedingly quickly, it could be from overfeeding or something decaying in the tank.

thanks BrianNY...can't think of what could be decaying, I have just started feeding frozen blood worms recently is the only difference I can think of. I def. do not overfeed, I'll have to check with my husband though to see what he is doing when I am not home...thanks

well.. keeping your nitrate at 0 is almost impossible...

So, you should get some level eventually anyway 5-20 ppm depending on how often, how much water you change and how much food you put into the tank.

If you were getting these reading I would suggest that you may have been having trouble using your testing kit.

If not and your nitrate is continuing to increase, find out whats rotting, find out if someone else is feeding and get them to stop, feed less, increase the percentage and or freqency of your water changes.. To add to this, make sure your filter doesnt have muck in it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom