nitrates sky high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steer14

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been fishless cycling my 60litre tank (using ammonia) for just over 4 weeks . I had the ammonia spike and then nitrite spike then both dropped to zero while nitrates went up . Apparently all i had to do next was a large water change then im ready for fish ! . i carried out a 90% water change making sure i dechlorinated the water using tetra aquasafe before adding to tank . After which i tested the water again and found ammonia 0 , nitrite 30ppm(at least) , nitrate 20. Does anyone have any idea what might have gone wrong ? :thanks:

Did you dose the water conditioner for the size of your tank? Have you checked your tap for nitrites/nitrates? What type of test are you using?

thanks for the quick reply . yes dosed as it states to on the bottle and am using api liquid test kit . would a temperature change in the water cause this ?

ooooops and my tap water is ammonia 0 , nitrite 0 and nitrate 20ppm

and thankyou for the welcome . sorry im new to this haha

thanks for the quick reply . yes dosed as it states to on the bottle and am using api liquid test kit . would a temperature change in the water cause this ?

If you refilled your tank with water that was a great difference in temp (such as freezing cold), yes, this could have shocked your bacteria. Dose your ammonia as usual & lets see how things look in 24hrs. Hopefully, things will stabilize quickly! Keep us posted! :)

I had temp set at 30degrees before i turned down heater and changed out water which was at 24degrees . Also this happened 3 days ago and since ive made several large water changes and no change in nitrite levels . i was well looking forward to getting some fish too :(

I also added a java fern and anubias yesterday !

I am sorry this happened! Were your ammonia/nitrites steadily dropping to zero in 24hrs (after daily dosing ammonia) for a couple of days? Did you change/clean any of your filter media? Im just trying to figure out if anything beyond a big temp change happened. The temp difference may have been enough to upset your bacteria, unfortunately. Hopefully, things will settle in a few days! Good work cycling! :)

ammonia and nitrates were steadily dropping to zero in less than 12 hours . havent touched the filter media . Do you think if i keep on making water changes nitrites will drop or do you think i should just leave alone and carry on dosing ammonia ?

Ok! Dose your ammonia & lets see where things go. The water changes are not really necessary but they are not going to hurt anything either as long as you match the temp & use water conditioner for the size of your tank. I would skip them for now & update tommorrow on how things look!

Back
Top Bottom