NitrATes......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cant seem to make the nitrate level drop in my tank .

Ive done 75 % water changes and 2 days later the nitrates hasnt dropped . Ive stirred the rocks up good , used the vacum .

For some reason I cant get them to drop . Any ideas or advice ?

I have a 20 gal tank . 1 bristlenose pleco , 2 guppies , 1 black molly , 1 redblack tailed variatus ( platty family ) , 2 cory , 1 blueram , 3 java ferns , 1 red ludwiga

well based on your other posts you may have rotting plants, that would do it. also have you tested your tap water to see how much you are putting in to the tank with your water changes?

also how high are they? parts per million would be nice... your plants need "some" nitrates to live.

You may also be making matters worse by stirring up the substrate too much...I know my levels are always high after I've rescaped and dug everything up.

First lets start with the basics.. what is your nitrate level now? mine hover between 0 and 15, i take care to make sure my nitrates don't go over 20 as shrimp are affected by nitrates of 20 +.

-Pleco

JDogg said:
well based on your other posts you may have rotting plants, that would do it. also have you tested your tap water to see how much you are putting in to the tank with your water changes?

also how high are they? parts per million would be nice... your plants need "some" nitrates to live.

i dont have any rotting plants in my tank ... if i see the plants are gonna die i always remove them .... :wink:

ya i tested the tap water for ammon , nitrite and nitrate all were 0 ... the nitrates is around 40ish ....

Back
Top Bottom