Nitrification cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hairy_Harold

Aquarium Advice Regular
Is it possible to have nitrates, no nitrites and ammonia? I got through a cycle without an ammonia tester and no fish death. So I was wondering if I actually need one after the cycle has completed? Obviously don't want to harm my fish it's been 2 weeks since i've done a water change and my nitrate levels have been 20ppm since the last water change and major gravel vac (my levels were shafted before that).

Yes its possible to have nitrates and no nitrites or ammonia. You will need to do another water change. Nitrates are reduced by water changes. weekly water changes are best but every two weeks is minimum. make sure to clean your filter media when you do your changes.

Thank you for your patience. So I am right in guessing they will never raise if the filter is copping with the bio load of the fish tank and is maintained?

yes if the tank is cycled, properly stocked and maintained by good cleaning you should never see ammonia. I feel you should always have the big three test kits though. Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. I test my ammonia occasionaly to make sure everything is running correctly.

if you plan to add fish more fish, then the introduction of the new fish will add to the load and you *may* get an increase in ammonia until the bacteria catches up. Tis why ppl only recommend increasing numbers slowly.

Buy the test kits. There's so many reasons to have them around and no reason not to. If something goes wrong down the track, it's the first thing you'll need at your disposal.

Back
Top Bottom