nitrite a little high but fish are doing great HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonnytree23

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just tested my water and everything was great besides my nitrite was a little high the fish are all great and active I use prime that removes chlorine and ammonia and detoxifies nitrite and nitrate does mean my nitrite is showing up in the test but is detoxified and harmless??? Any answers would be appreciated thanks guys

I might be my tank is about 3 4 weeks in. My water is crystal clear also

If your ammonia and nitrAte are low or zero, and nitrItes are high, then you're not done with the cycle.

What is the Nitrite level, exactly? And, what kind of test kit are you using?

CMOS

Im using the api freshwater master kit. And yes my nitrite is high my amonnia is low and my nitrate is low

Sounds like you're in the middle of your cycle.

What exactly is the Nitrite level?

CMOS

Okay thanks a lot man. Also it looks like the fish are loving it does that also mean my tank is good?

Thats really nothing... A water change 10-30% ought to get that down to zero. It looks like your coming to the end of the maturing cycle

Angel fish... A 30% change on 2ppm nitrite may or may not of worked in your experience from what youre saying on your thread but 10-30% isnt even going to dent it. you need to do a 50% change to bring it to 1ppm and then another 50% afew hours later to get it down to 0.5ppm.

Im sorry angel fish but i bit my tongue on your thread and gave you the benifit of the doubt but dont spread miss information elsewhere. Thanks

2.0ppm is actually quite high. The goal should be zero; but, mid cycle I would aim to keep it at or below 0.5pmm.

Time for some more water changes.

Im gonna take out 5 gallons and replace it with another 5 should I put chemicals for the 5 gallons of new water I put in?

Angel fish... A 30% change on 2ppm nitrite may or may not of worked in your experience from what youre saying on your thread but 10-30% isnt even going to dent it. you need to do a 50% change to bring it to 1ppm and then another 50% afew hours later to get it down to 0.5ppm.

Im sorry angel fish but i bit my tongue on your thread and gave you the benifit of the doubt but dont spread miss information elsewhere. Thanks

+1

2 PPM is quite high.

CMOS

Not giving out miss info. 2ppm is pretty low... Not ideal but low... All this 50% water changes is gonna shock the fish and not allow bacteria to settle in tank quickly. Which means prolonging the cycle. Its why i say 10-30%... In fish tanks excess is always bad

Back
Top Bottom