nitrite and nitrates good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrites must be zero for the tank to be safe for fish. With nitrates, the lower the better adage is true for everything except planted tanks. They should have nitrates in the 10-20ppm range. It's not uncommon for planted tanks to have low to zero nitrates. In those tanks nitrate needs to be added so the plants can grow instead of algae. In tanks without lots of plants nitrate only feeds algae.

Regular fish tanks should be kept around 20ppm or less for best results, though many people are successful with around 40ppm.

Nitrite and Nitrate Levels

What are the best levels of both where should they be i have a 55 gallon tank

Hello dezz...

Ideally, you want no nitrites. They're toxic to your fish. Nitrates can be in the 40 ppm range with no problems. If you follow a sound tank management routine that includes weekly, large water changes and routine servicing of the filtration, you'll have no problems.

B

Is your tank cycled? If so than as it's been said 0 is where ammo and nitrite should be. Nitrate below 20.

If it's not cycled than the odds of you keeping them at 0 is slim. If you are doing a fish in cycle then you want to do water changes anytime the ammo or nitrite go above .25 or so. Then you will know your tank is cycle when ammo and nitrite stay consistently at 0 on their own.

Water changes are the best and safest way to control these levels.

30 Percent Water Change

just did 30% water change in my wife's tank, and the nitrites are around 10ppm. How can i lower them.? And why are they so high after water change??

Hello v...

Small water changes do little to remove nitrogen from the water. If you want to guarantee a stable water chemistry, change out half the tank's volume every week. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier your fish and plants will be.

Adding stem plants like Anacharis, Pennywort, Water sprite and Water wisteria will help keep the water clean as well as limiting feedings of your fish and plants to no more than twice a week.

B

just did 30% water change in my wife's tank, and the nitrites are around 10ppm. How can i lower them.? And why are they so high after water change??

I believe you mean your nitrate is 10?? Not nitrite. 10 is an ok number to hit for nitrate. The best way to get get any toxins(ammo, nitrite and nitrate) down is water changed. When you get higher levels it takes larger changes. As Bbradbury said little changes don't do much. even an ammo or nitrite reading of 1ppm is going to probably take 2 50% changes to get it down to about .25ppm.

Back
Top Bottom