Nitrite (fishless cycle) - and going out of town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbanner

Aquarium Advice Regular
Please help. I'm going out of town for five days tomorrow... I'm about six weeks in to a fishless cycle (had a cycle stall) with a seeded 55 gal.

My tank is converting Am 4ppm down to 0 in 24 hours (hooray!), and has been able to do this for about a week now, but my Nitrites are off the chains... 5++ within 12 hours after I re-dose the Am and maintaining that high reading at the 24 hour mark... Nitrates are up as well, but I'm not as concerned as I understand that super high Ni can affect the Na readings.

Once for a few days, I didn't do any water changes and just re-dosed Am, and eventually the Ni went down (so I know the awesome Ni feeding buggers are there, they're just not as plentiful yet).

Here are my real questions: While I'm out of town, can I just have my (16 year old) daughter re-dose the Am? Can I avoid her having to do water changes?

Thank you!!

Sorry - should have mentioned: My pH is stable at 7.6 for the past few weeks, and the Na reading was between 80 and 160. Very high.

Yes that should be fine. Besides you don't have any fish in their to worry about and water change isn't am issue during fishless cycling. Hope this cleared things up for you :)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thank you! I'll sleep better tonight now... I appreciate your help!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom