Nitrite,GH Jump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquahungerforce

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings to all! I have a few questions about my GH and PH levels. I have a 10 gal FW tank with two occupants right now. I have a small lionhead oranda, and a female betta. (I know youre not supposed to mix tropical and coldwater fish, But they seem to be doing very well, and it is just temporary). Anyway, my cycling seemed to go very quickly, I had a small but brief ammonia spike and then a slightly elevated nitrate and nitrite. I did a water change last night, and when I tested this morning my GH was up from 75 to 150, and my nitrite was up from .5 to 3.0, also my PH had dropped from 8.4 to 7.8
The other readings are:
Nitrate 20
Nitrite 3.0
GH 150
KH 120
PH 7.8
Amm 0
Any ideas? Should I have not changed the water? What should I do now?
Thank you for any advice!

You might want to test your tap water for GH and PH. That might explain those two values.

Normally your nitrite level drops after a water change. At least, that is my personal experience. If you haven't overfed them and if you didn't disturb the bacteria, then I don't know what could have been the cause. I am pretty sure that others will help you on that one.

I do advice you to check the GH and PH of your tap water though.

Back
Top Bottom