nitrite HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stacie3972

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so today marks 3 weeks of 2 75% pwc a day on my fish in tank cycle. I have put in safe start and it actually made the nitrite higher that day. Please tell me what I am doing wrong and why they nitrite won't go down! Getting very frustrated.

A few questions to help me understand...
1, how long has tank been set up
2 , size if tank and how many fish
3, how many water changes you doing
I have just completed my cycle and im new to this so may be able to help?

The tank has been up a month and a week maybe. Fish I have 2 parrots 5 gromies 1 pleco 1 chocolate cichlid 1 red belly cichlid 1 golden severum (probably to many for cycling but I had no idea this is what you needed to do and listened to a person at a fish store and they said it could be done with this many) should have done the research instead of listening to the fish store ppl I know this now. And my tank is a 50 gallon. Taking fish back is not an option I asked they said because of the poor water quality no refund and they will hold them but if they die its my loss and will not replace and seeing as how these ppl are the ones that told me this number was okay for starting a tank i don't trust taking my fish back there.

ok....yes i guess its the amount of fish whilst cycling.....I would increase your water changes....possibly to twice a day if needed......
I did water changes every other day and tested every day...using api master.....are you using vac when doing pwc ?

I am doing 2 a day 75% each time. Am I supposed to vacuum every day? I have sand and I do it once a week.

maybe 75 % is too much? I was doing 30% each time...every other day...and vac at same time.....maybe at 75 its taking too much out at one time??

The reason I am doing 75 twice a day it to keep the nitrite at 0 is that wrong

What type of water conditioner are you using? If its Prime or Amquel plus, you will be ok as long as your keeping your nitrites under control and your doing water changes every 24hrs. Either conditioner will keep nitrites detoxed up to 1ppm for @24hrs. With the amount of fish you have, you will likely still need to do a daily water change 50-75%.

the cycle is this...ammonia ...fairly brief stage...nitrite ....the longest stage...then nitrate.....i wouldn't aim to go zero every time. on nitrite ..its gradual.....I just checked daily...continued with 30% pwc every other day....maybe im wrong...but it worked.....im now 7 weeks and ph is 7.6 nitrite is 0 nitrate is 5 ppm. n ammonia is 0

I am using amquel. How long should this last? This is starting 3 weeks of 2 75% pwc a day to keep nitrite at 0. Do I need to keep it at 0 at all times? What is under control?

Stacie3972 said:
I am using amquel. How long should this last? This is starting 3 weeks of 2 75% pwc a day to keep nitrite at 0. Do I need to keep it at 0 at all times? What is under control?

Is it Amquel or Amquel Plus? You don't need to keep it at zero but under 1ppm with Amquel Plus, preferably under .25ppm. If you have salt tolerant fish, a low dose will help limit nitrite poisoning as well. The nitrite>nitrate phase is both the hardest and the longest- keep up the wonderful job your doing taking care of your fish!!!

under control is 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and up to 80 nitrate...as in the last of the cycle

Bish67 said:
under control is 0 ammonia 0 nitrite and up to 80 nitrate...as in the last of the cycle

Not for a fish-in cycling tank. Trace ammonia & nitrite is expected. A cycled tank should have zero ammonia & nitrite. 80ppm nitrate is too high for most fish and would be dangerous for quite a few. 20ppm or less is more acceptable unless a person is dealing with excess nitrates from their tap.

It's amquel plus! Okay so a little nitrite is okay great. I've been changing to much water ill just keep at it ill probably just knock it down to 75% pwc every other day and see where that puts me. Thanks for yall help!

Just keep up on your daily testing and remember the Amquel plus is only effective for about 24hrs. So, you may need to still do daily water changes but hopefully not multiple daily changes. Ideally, you want to keep your nitrites as low as reasonably possible but some trace levels are expected. The Amquel plus will keep detoxed between changes. :)

Bish67 said:
im only going off web sites that say up to 80 ppm is safe

Sorry, but unless there's some major exception (such as 80ppm in your tap), 80ppm is too high to be healthy. Sensitive fish would have a hard time with 20ppm. Nitrates should really be kept as low as possible- lower, the better. :)

Back
Top Bottom