Nitrite Problems / Concerns? - Updated?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As for fish, if you need something to keep the algae down, see if you can get a Bristlenose Pleco. It stays small, and does a far better job than any CAE could ever do. They also say Clown Plecos stay small too.

What kind of filter are you using?

IMO the hardest working fish are ottos. A pair will keep your tank clean. Also I dont recomend keeping carbon in the filter unless you are medicating your fish, I would remove them and add something else like bio-max or the like.

Thanks I think it could be on the end of a cycle... I hope. I did realize that my live plant in there is getting stringy and likely dying? This could be causing some issues?

I have the Whisper 40, it has the 2 foam filters and then 2 pouches that hold carbon in the pouches. Icey... do you think I should run the pouches but with no carbon? When i buy the replacements it always seems to come with carbon too?

a plant dying wont cause your nitrates to raise, it causes phosphates to raise.

As far as your nitrites keep spiking, one of 3 things is happening.

#1 Your tank hasn't reached an equilibrium of balance between the bio-load and the bacteria established to convert toxins to nitrate. I.E. your cycle isn't complete.

-Keep an eye on your ammonia and nitrite levels, do a pwc when they get in the "unsafe" zone

#2 You are cleaning too much. If you rinse off filter media, ornaments, and fake plants in tap water, and then do a gravel vac, you are probably removing a bunch of your good bacteria causing mini-cycles.

-Stop doing that :)

#3 Something is decaying in the tank. (Not plants) A few dead snails or fish, or overfeeding that is causing for additional ammonia above and beyond your bio-load that your bacteria cant break down causing mini-cycles.

-Remove the ammonia causing source

An established tank should not show any nitrites, and even small adjustments in bio-load or cleaning doesn't cause enough to show results in my expereience. Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom