Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I read on the net that if you let nitrite get past 5 ppm, it can poison the bacteria and stop your cycle. Is that true?

I just did pwc (half my tank) and my nitrites are still almost the same 5 ppm. My ammonia went down to 1 ppm and my nitrates went down to 20 ppm. Do I add more ammonia or wait? I am about 12 days into my fishless cycle.

JimmyA said:
I just did pwc (half my tank) and my nitrites are still almost the same 5 ppm. My ammonia went down to 1 ppm and my nitrates went down to 20 ppm. Do I add more ammonia or wait? I am about 12 days into my fishless cycle.

No no do more pwc. Bring ur nitrite down before u dose ammonia. Bring it Down to .5 or 1

Had to drain almost the whole tank to get nitrite down.

Same thing happened in our last fishless cycle as a test and it did in fact stall the cycle.. I let it ride for almost three weeks with no pwc and had no change in the cycle.. I did 2 pwc of 75% back to back and then did three 20% pwc after that and the cycle was finished within 3 days.

Wow, hope my tank has that success!

Something doesn't make sense. If you do a 50% PWC, your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will all be half what they were (assuming there is any). There's no logical way, unless you had ~10ppm nitrite, that you still had 5ppm after a 50% change. That's a fact, not possible.

I did a complete water change finally and am starting with 4 ppm ammonia again.

Could have had excessive nitrite, test only goes up to 5 ppm.

mfdrookie516 said:
Something doesn't make sense. If you do a 50% PWC, your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate will all be half what they were (assuming there is any). There's no logical way, unless you had ~10ppm nitrite, that you still had 5ppm after a 50% change. That's a fact, not possible.

Was most likely higher than that but unable to read actual amount with an API kit it only reads 5.. and if its in excess of five a 50% till might not bring it down enough to read lower than 5.

Back
Top Bottom