Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know of any tank situations where you would want anything above zero. What reading are you currently getting? What about your other parameters?

Well I have a ten gallon that my fish are currently in and the readings for it are
Ph: 7.6
High range ph: 7.4
Amm: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite : 5.0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

I'm working in. 20 gallon to switch to and it is :

Ph: 7.6
High range ph: 7.4
Amm.: 0.25
Nitrite: o ppm
Nitrate : 0 ppm

I didn't do a cycle cycle with them .. They have been in the 10 gallon tank for 3 weeks now

I just put up the 20 gallon yesterday.... The only change in it from yesterday was the Amm it's went from 0.50 ppm to 0.25 ppm

Then, definitely leave them in the 10g for now. You need to do daily water changes with a fish-in cycle. The 20g, you will need to dose ammonia somehow. There are multiple different options to do this. Just Google it.

Why are you asking these questions when you already have fish? Irresponsible to me, they are living things.
You have no choice but to do a fish-in cycle, please look up the fish-in cycle thread this forum has, if you want to keep your fish healthy.

It is best not to do water changes while doing fish in cycles, unless ammonia spikes to very high levels. 2.0ppm or higher.

Get a nitrite/ammonia detoxifier. Please look up that thread though, it has more info than you will get in an individual answer here.

Also, why are you testing PH twice? and your getting 2 different readings.. waste of money..Just use the high ph tester. A cichlid tank shouldn't have a reading lower than the high ph card.

Excuse you?!? I was asking bc I'm trying to move them to a bigger tank and wanting to do the right thing... No I didn't do my research before excuse me ... But I have now and trying to make it right for them

Many of us are bothered by the uneducated that rush into Cichlids because of how they look. These are not beginner fish.

Don't take offense, it's more so on the shoulders of the people in the fish stores that don't tell people what they really should and say no, these fish will not work for you.

Just like the time I heard someone at petco saying its ok to put spotted puffers in with mollies and to put a betta bowl through the dishwasher.

I was only asking so I could do the right thing... I have not just started out w fish I've had gold fish for 5 years and my so wanted something new and he picked them out ... I have learned threw this form what to look up and do my research before buying... I haven't bought anything new except a bigger tank which they need I know now... I understand people so passionate about their fish and hate seeing new people do this... I HAVE learned my lesson and doing right now... I do know people w this cichilds form are more rudely out coming than the saltwater people....

I was only asking so I could do the right thing... I have not just started out w fish I've had gold fish for 5 years and my so wanted something new and he picked them out ... I have learned threw this form what to look up and do my research before buying... I haven't bought anything new except a bigger tank which they need I know now... I understand people so passionate about their fish and hate seeing new people do this... I HAVE learned my lesson and doing right now... I do know people w this cichilds form are more rudely out coming than the saltwater people....

Dont sweat it...Heres a few things you can do...First, start working your way to a larger tank. Cichlids like you have really need a 55 or larger. I wish I would have told you that before you bought the 20. BUT with cichlids you will have fry so you will need multiple tanks. Second..Water changes will not have a huge impact on your cycle. A small amount of good bacteria is in the water column but not enough to matter. Good job on getting the test kit. What you want is 0 ammo 0 nitrites and slowly climbing nitrates...i keep mine under 40. Since you are mid cycle you will not have these numbers. So keep your ammo .25 or lower and detox with prime ONLY!!!! test every day. To speed things along you need to seed your new filter. You can do this by using old filters in your new filter. Or putting a nylon full of old gravel or media in your new filter or tank. The more old filter media you can get the better. You can get find someone who you know has a good piece of healthy disease free media ask them for it. You can really shorten your cycle by seeding. Also increase oxygen by adding an airstone. Dont worry about rude people here...They dont last. If you have anymore questions ask...There are plenty of people on here who will help you and not try and make you feel stupid. Welcome to the hobby!!! AND love your fish! Oh yeah dont add anything to your tank like ammo chips or bacteria starter...It will only set you up for a tank crash later...

Back
Top Bottom