Nitrites too high

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcutajar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im upto day 5 of my fishless cycle, my ammonia was at 4.0ppm and is now down to 0.5ppm. Which is good i think/hope? My problem is my nitrite is well over 5.0ppm and i performed a 50% water change yesterday, but is still over 5.0. My nitrate is about 20-40ppm. Can anyone help with providing me with some answers.
Note: i did take about 8litres of water from a tank already cycling, in an attempt to speed up my bacteria growth. The reading of nitrite in these 8 litres was 0.25 but that still doesnt add up to why i have a reading of over 5.0. Doing massive water changes is becoming a no go, due to my partner getting sick of the wasted water. If it is a must ill try get away with a sneaky water change though.
Thanks

Im upto day 5 of my fishless cycle, my ammonia was at 4.0ppm and is now down to 0.5ppm. Which is good i think/hope? My problem is my nitrite is well over 5.0ppm and i performed a 50% water change yesterday, but is still over 5.0. My nitrate is about 20-40ppm. Can anyone help with providing me with some answers.
Note: i did take about 8litres of water from a tank already cycling, in an attempt to speed up my bacteria growth. The reading of nitrite in these 8 litres was 0.25 but that still doesnt add up to why i have a reading of over 5.0. Doing massive water changes is becoming a no go, due to my partner getting sick of the wasted water. If it is a must ill try get away with a sneaky water change though.
Thanks

Beneficial bacteria doesn't grow in the water, it isn't "free floating" it's on your decor and media.

So adding water most likely didn't help at all. Your in the cycle process. Your ammonia dropped off so now your seeing nitrites then you'll see nitrates. They will be high and probably unreadable on your color chart.

Here's a good read.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Thanks for that, i guess it hasnt really ruined my progress, just im in australia and getting my had on ammonia is practically impossible any idea of how to get around that

Nitrates are at 20-40 i think its moving well just wanted someone with more experiences opinion

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom