Nitrites

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vaquero

Aquarium Advice Freak
I need help asap. My nitrates are in the danger zone and I need to know how to get them lowered. New tank week old all other levels are acepted range

I have the exact problem at the moment, and I am also stuck! Iv been water changing 50% for the last 2 days, so I'm going to carry on doing that for now, but yea :( it's a nightmare

You've got the right idea Kimberley. Keep doing large water changes. Be sure to use a quality dechlorinator when you do. Since your tank is pretty new, it is probably just cycling which means there isn't a whole lot to do exept keep doing water changes and wait it out. Eventually, all the levels will balance out.

I hope so, my pH is a little low (city water) and my alk is close to perfect. I just added some chemical to help lower nitrites and help with nitrates. I took the two ghost cats out and added them to my wife's 25 gal tank (her water is perfect(i hate her)LOL! So I will check water later today and see if there is any changes.

I set up the new tank with 50% new water and then added the water from the 25 to it. Water was fine before doing this. But like I said the nitrites are high

Ok Kimberley I found a little advice online here it is:

Treatment:

Large water change
Add salt, preferably chlorine salt
Reduce feeding
Increase aeration

The addition of one half ounce of salt per gallon of water will prevent methemoglobin from building up. Chlorine salt is preferable, however any aquarium salt is better than no salt at all. Aeration should be increased to provide ample oxygen saturation in the water. Feedings should be reduced and no new fish should be added until the tank until the ammonia and nitrite levels have fallen to zero.
Nitrite is letal at much lower levels than ammonia. Therefore it is critical to continue daily testing and treatment until the nitrite falls to zero.

Will the salt not harm my fish? I have 4 platys a swordtail, a large apple snail, a ghost shrimp, 2 bristlenose plecos and an African dwarf frog. I have managed to fix the leak on my old tank, that was established and doing well, but sprung a leak on Friday. Im considering moving them back because it's a bigger tank. What would you suggest? Do you think that's a good idea or not? I'm still new to fish keeping and I'm only 19 so it all gets a bit confusing

Will the salt not harm my fish? I have 4 platys a swordtail, a large apple snail, a ghost shrimp, 2 bristlenose plecos and an African dwarf frog. I have managed to fix the leak on my old tank, that was established and doing well, but sprung a leak on Friday. Im considering moving them back because it's a bigger tank. What would you suggest? Do you think that's a good idea or not? I'm still new to fish keeping and I'm only 19 so it all gets a bit confusing

No the salt in the right amounts will actually be beneficial to them as it helps in preventing fin rot and i have heard it will lower nitrites slightly. I and others use it at every water change or when setting up a new tank. When changing tanks make sure you use the old water and add fresh to it. If it is an established tank the good bacteria will be in the new tank which you will need. Use the old filter also to keep up the same. If you have to add a new filter, put the old one behind it until the new filter builds up some. And don't clean the gravel as it too has the good bacteria in it. Hope this helps P.S your water will look dirty since you are stirring up the tank, but this will get better as the filters work and the sediment settles inn the tank

Okay, I may look at moving them back to my fixed tank. They do look lively and happy now, but I'm just not happy with the water. If I move them back, shall I use half old half new water, as the old tank is bigger and use all the gravel decorations ect. It's not been used since last friday, so I dont know if it will be okay to put fish straight in? Sorry for all the questions, but you are really helping. It means so much, the pet shop have no idea!

Okay, I may look at moving them back to my fixed tank. They do look lively and happy now, but I'm just not happy with the water. If I move them back, shall I use half old half new water, as the old tank is bigger and use all the gravel decorations ect. It's not been used since last friday, so I dont know if it will be okay to put fish straight in? Sorry for all the questions, but you are really helping. It means so much, the pet shop have no idea!

Do you have a water tester or strips? If so I would check the water. Has it been sitting idle without filtration? If not and if the fish are doing ok, I would use the old water up to 75%, then add conditioned water to make up to the 100% water. Do not clean gravel or decorations either.

Do you have a water tester or strips? If so I would check the water. Has it been sitting idle without filtration? If not and if the fish are doing ok, I would use the old water up to 75%, then add conditioned water to make up to the 100% water. Do not clean gravel or decorations either.

If no filtration and water tests good, I would turn on filter and run it for 24 hours to help clean and to provide ample oxygen saturation in the water before adding fish to it. Still keep an eye on them and test water frequently to be sure all is well.

Iv got a fairly big problem with my NO3 levels... ? iv had tank running for about 6 weeks with 8 fish only small, no bigger than 2inches, got 3 small catfish an 3 larger cichlids about 3inches on saturday morning, I done a water change lastnight of about 25% an this evening checking my water with tetra 6 in 1 strips my NO3 levels have shot right up in to danger zone? Is there anything I can do tonight untill I get to a store tomorrow evening after work to get some ointments to lower the NO3 levels
Any help much appreciated

Iv got a fairly big problem with my NO3 levels... ? iv had tank running for about 6 weeks with 8 fish only small, no bigger than 2inches, got 3 small catfish an 3 larger cichlids about 3inches on saturday morning, I done a water change lastnight of about 25% an this evening checking my water with tetra 6 in 1 strips my NO3 levels have shot right up in to danger zone? Is there anything I can do tonight untill I get to a store tomorrow evening after work to get some ointments to lower the NO3 levels
Any help much appreciated

Do a 30% water change as soon as possible. In order to maintain a fish tank, you should be doing at least a 25% water change every week. When you do a water change, you are removing nitrate-laden water and replacing it with fresh, nitrate-free water. Leaving this too long will result in a build-up of nitrate that can harm your fish. And reduce the amount you feed your fish, maybe less food each time at feeding and you can feed twice daily. Make sure they eat what you feed them in about two minutes. If there is more food going uneaten, then you are feeding them too much. Another way to feed is as my sister does. She feeds them slowly so they tend to eat the food before it has a chance to sink to the bottom.

Thanks very much for your help! I will do ASAP! I do, do regular water changes every Sunday night, but jus seems to be since adding new fish an my water change yesterday iv had a massive NO3 spike :-( up untill then iv been spot on with my levels? The only one that has been pretty high is my KH level?? But everything else is well in the green safe zones on the tetra 6in1 test kit strips?! Jus really worried that iv done something different in my water change which has upset the balance? Or it's the new fish iv added? Iv got a 70 litre tank with 15 fish in, none no bigger than 2.5 inches so still only babies, with 2 fluval U2 filters. So i have a well stocked but not over crowded tank which iv been told is fine with what iv got for filtration and my smalls cats that feed on the bottom? But will take note on how your sister feeds

Yes I did a larger tank exchange and mine are up also, but that is because the tank is still cycling, so I'm not too worried, but still want my levels spot on. I am mainly fighting Nitrites in mine. I am going to do a 25% water change in mine today.

I had to let all of the water drain out of my old one because of the leak. But I haven't touched the filter or anything. It hasnt had water in it since Friday, so would that still be okay to put the water in and move the fish?

I had to let all of the water drain out of my old one because of the leak. But I haven't touched the filter or anything. It hasnt had water in it since Friday, so would that still be okay to put the water in and move the fish?

You can but you will be cycling the tank over again, just don't wash anything else and like i said let it run for 24 hours to filter out anything that went into the tank since Friday. And be sure to test the water before adding fish.

My nitrites and nitrates have come down a lot. No longer cycling tank and the community is getting along now. Once you get rid of the problem children, the rest can sleep in peace.

Hi, I sorted my old tank out and put everyone back in there, and it's been fine, all levels are perfect again. Thanks

using old water actually holds very little benefit. The best bacteria grow on surfaces like decor, gravel and mostly filter media and very tiny amounts are held in the water.

water changes are the best way to drop these levels. 50% change and then test in an hour, if the readings for ammo and nitrite are above.25-.5 then do another 50% change. If levels are up high above 1 it usually will take several large changes in a day to drop these levels to a safe range. Adding chemi

cals is just a bandaid solution and will cause more harm than good in the long run. Salt is a helpful tool, but again it's not a substitute for water changes.

Back
Top Bottom