No carbon in the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vegababy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was just reading some of the other posts and noticed that some people don't put carbon in their tanks. I didn't know that would be alright with the fish. Have any of you noticed any problems without the carbon?

In the past I've found that my carbon packs often release a black film--even after being rinsed nad cycled in the tank. If I could take it out I think it could help my cloudy water condition.

I usually start a new tank with some carbon. As the carbon gradually wears out, the increasing ammonia levels let beneficial bacteria grow in the tank, and your carbon basically becomes a biological filter rather than a chemical one. However, once I have a tank established, I just use biological filtration media.

-Jeff

Heh yeah you will.

There 3 types of filtration in a fish tank; here's the short version LOL:

Mechanical. Thats the filter and the media. Water gets pushed thru the filter and the detritus stays in the filter while the water flows out.

Biological. Thats your ammonia and nitrite eating bacteria. They're on all the surfaces of your tank except the fish *grin*

Chemical. Removal of dissolved wastes; Activated Carbon is an example.

Theres a more detailed explanation here if you're interested: http://faq.thekrib.com/filters.html (theres also a brief mention of Ammo-carb too in the chemical filtration section).

Back
Top Bottom