No idea what to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How do I tie/glue the fern?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've heard a black cotton string is good and it will eventually dissolve into the water and by then the plant will be attached.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I'd use string too. I've used fishing line in the past and it's a pain in the butt because it goes wherever it wants to. I think cotton string would stay in place better, esp when you're trying to tie it.

Thank you guys! My mom has a pothos plant (I think that's how you spell it) and she doesn't really care about it. Can I put the plant in the water? I've seen and read that but not 100% sure.

Thank you guys! My mom has a pothos plant (I think that's how you spell it) and she doesn't really care about it. Can I put the plant in the water? I've seen and read that but not 100% sure.

The pot hosting can have its roots submerged but has to remain outside if the tank. You can grow it hanging over the sude.

Thank you!!

A note on Eco-complete...

I don't know how it used to be marketed, although I do gather from discussions that they have made changes in the content and instructions.

I bought a couple of bags a month or so ago and took a pic of the directions on the hack. There are TWO DIFFERENT Instructions depending on your situation.

If you ALREADY have "aquatic life", you are supposed to DRAIN (NOT rinse) the EC before adding it.

If you DO NOT have aquatic life, you should dump it ALL in, including the liquid.

I'll include the pic of the directions below. It can be hard to read. The important lines are in the second paragraph - but read ALL of it. Then double-check when you get your own bag.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424731431.579258.jpg

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

A note on Eco-complete...

I don't know how it used to be marketed, although I do gather from discussions that they have made changes in the content and instructions.

I bought a couple of bags a month or so ago and took a pic of the directions on the hack. There are TWO DIFFERENT Instructions depending on your situation.

If you ALREADY have "aquatic life", you are supposed to DRAIN (NOT rinse) the EC before adding it.

If you DO NOT have aquatic life, you should dump it ALL in, including the liquid.

I'll include the pic of the directions below. It can be hard to read. The important lines are in the second paragraph - but read ALL of it. Then double-check when you get your own bag.

View attachment 265203

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

That's due to the "cycling" agent included.. or bio clarifier if I'm not mistaking.. it's fine either way just a technicality.. just like thanksgiving dinner for a well cycled filter. May need a couple wc's the next day;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So i was planning on doing this on my 60 gallon tank. Should I try instead in my 10 gallon to start off?

Yes! Thank you

I've seen tanks with clay pots inside and plants in it. I kinda like how that looks. Will this effect my ph? And are there easy plants that I can put in the pot?

I've seen tanks with clay pots inside and plants in it. I kinda like how that looks. Will this effect my ph? And are there easy plants that I can put in the pot?

I love the look, too. In fact I loved it so much I went to Home Depot and bought a bunch of what appeared to be unglazed small pots of varying sizes. From this experience I learned a couple of VERY important things.

1. Less is more and use smaller pots than you think will look good because their size seems amplified in the tank

2. Track your pH etc.! I'm sure you already heard how important it is to use new, UNGLAZED, pots in an aquarium. I did do that but may have used too many pots or they were contaminated anyway. A bunch of fish died unexpectedly the next week. Took another week for me to think to check the pH and it was WAAAY off. I can't remember which direction.

So go slow and check every parameter you can think of frequently, would be my suggestion.

Post pics and let us know the chemistry results! I'd like to try again by am too afraid to.

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Go to YouTube and type in "dirted fish tank" It's the cheapest way for a great plant substrate. Also start with easy plants like Amazon swords, dwarf sag, Val, and Java ferns.

-Aqua_cedrus

Thank you guys for the help!! I saw this on Amazon because I wanted to find some cheaper plants and I found these plants. But I'm not sure if they all are for beginners. Should I try the 4 pack of the 6 the 6 pack is just 4 dollars more I think.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424923211.792688.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424923211.792688.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 53
  • ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424923235.617503.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424923235.617503.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 55
I'd do the 6 pack of plants so you can experience more varieties of plants.

-Aqua_cedrus

Okay thank you! Have you tried to get plants online? Do you recommend it or should I go to my local pet store

I haven't got plants from online before. Although I did not think of it then. I would defiantly buy easy to grow plants online, but more delicate ones at LFS.

-find me on Instagram: Aqua_cedrus

I know that the none of the local fish stores have Java ferns so I might order them online. I would like to order from Dustin's fish tanks because we both live in Kentucky just an hour drive

I love Dustin!!! Never ordered from him because I live in Oregon. Jacobsaquariums.com is a good place to scope out plants. He's the only tropica supply to the U.S.

-find me on Instagram: Aqua_cedrus

Back
Top Bottom