No more water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got my hands on a nitrate test kit, and after testing for about 2 weeks, it seems like my philodendrons are removing enough nitrogenous wastes that the nitrates don't ever rise above 2-3.0. Even better, most of my evaporation happens from lava rocks which stick out above the surface of the water, so the mineral deposits just build up on them, outside of the water column, where I can wipe them off with a damp rag. GH/KH haven't gone up at all. Not sure of the exact readings (I'm at work).

Am I missing anything, or can I stop doing water changes?

-J

Shhhh!!! The people who make the Python might make you 'disappear'!8O

What about the mulm that accumulates in the gravel as well as dissolved organic compounds? Would the plants take care of that too? If it isn't already obvious, I know nothing about planted tanks. :)

i wouldn't say no more water changes. there's minerals and other things in fresh water that get used up by plants and animals that need to be replaced.... once or twice a month shouldn't be too much of a problem for you, should it?

One can never stop water changes; keep in mind anything that goes into the tank stays there unless you remove it, including food (although its in a different form *grin*). Ph levels will drop as the water becomes more acidic (due to waste), and the concentration of DOCs will increase. If the tank is well planted, water changes can be done less frequently, but never eliminated. I do my planted tank once a week, but thats due to the otos who poop like troupers; the plants can't keep up. You can prob go 2-3 weeks between changes if thats not a prob.

Back
Top Bottom