No power, no heater, no filter. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fredmertz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have no power and a doa generator. I have water, so i can change the water daily, but what can i do for the water Temperature? I have a 75 gallon with gouramis, rainbows, loaches, angels, pictus, a rainbow shark and a blue crayfish.

I am afraid they are all going to die of cold and am looking for any tips or tricks. I'm very nervous!

I understand a layer or 2 of aluminum foil wrapped around the tank followed up by blankets. Periodically dip a glass or pitcher in tge tank and pour it back in to add oxygen. Someone In the reef discussion board had a good idea of getting a bunch of disposable hand warmers, throwing them in a ziploc bag, and floating them in the tank.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

75 gallons won't lose heat too terribly quickly. Wrap it up with a large blanket or two, but keep an eye on the temp throughout your power outage.

For now, i have the filter and heater hooked up to the ac outlet in my car. Will keep that up as long as i can And then wrap.

Thanks for the advice and good wishes.

You can get some battery powered air pumps (Petsmart carries them) and use them for water circulation. They use D cells and some can run a whole day on a pair of batteries. If you have a gas stove or a camping stove, use it to heat water. Put the hot water into a bottle and float it in your tank. Make sure the bottle won't melt though and best to put some water conditioner in just to be safe. Bleach bottles are good and bleach is cheap if you want to buy some just for the bottles. As other said, insulate your tank any way you can. What I use are foam insulation panels from a home improvement store & cut them to fit the tank size.

Also, stop feeding until the power comes back. They can go at least a week without food and this will help with water quality.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom