No Water Change in over a year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As far a dosing, I do it several times a week in the morning in smaller doses. I figure if you dose all at once, say at the beginning of the week, then by the next week it would be depleted. By dosing smaller several times a week, it makes it more consistent. If you like mixing water and regulating it through water change, it is probably just as good, but it is not as consistent as dosing, and it only takes a few min of my time.

If you look at my page it tells the stocking of my tank. In my personal opinion you can stock your tank with whatever, and long as you do it slow enough that you bio load can keep up, and you have the right clean up crew. One thing I forgot to add is never put a sand sifting star in the tank. They eat the inhabitants of the sand bed that you need.

I know I was going to take a beating about the yellow tang. I bought him when he was like the size of a quarter. I know I will have to get rid of him soon for him to stay happy. I love him dearly. He as such a personality. I was hoping by getting him, as he grew my wife would give in to letting me upgrade to a larger tank. Ha.

If you look at my page it tells the stocking of my tank. In my personal opinion you can stock your tank with whatever, and long as you do it slow enough that you bio load can keep up, and you have the right clean up crew. One thing I forgot to add is never put a sand sifting star in the tank. They eat the inhabitants of the sand bed that you need.

Just because your bio-load is low doesnt mean you can keep a big fish with big swimming needs. People are gonna come calling me the tang police but it is not right to stress out a fish in such a small tank. there is no CUC that can eat fish poop, and if there was one then they would also poop. Your logic doesnt make sense.

Yep just change the subject then :D.

In the wild tangs cover miles of ocean a day, and here you are keeping one in a 2 1/2ft tank.

Bio load is one thing but fish stress is a whole different story. Tangs get stressed out in a tank that's too small, that's one thing that can't really be argued against.

Without actively removing contaminants from the aquarium there is more than just nitrates that are found in fish poo. What are you doing to remove any of that? In other words, what goes in must come out. Have you tested the TDS of your water?

Bio load is one thing but fish stress is a whole different story. Tangs get stressed out in a tank that's too small, that's one thing that can't really be argued against.

Without actively removing contaminants from the aquarium there is more than just nitrates that are found in fish poo. What are you doing to remove any of that? In other words, what goes in must come out. Have you tested the TDS of your water?

I would like to see the readings on TDS too

Just because your bio-load is low doesnt mean you can keep a big fish with big swimming needs. People are gonna come calling me the tang police but it is not right to stress out a fish in such a small tank. there is no CUC that can eat fish poop, and if there was one then they would also poop. Your logic doesnt make sense.

I agree about the tang, but tube worms do eat fish poop and I can prove it by catching it on a video. I have witnessed it. I do agree that if they too are eating, then they are expelling waist in the process. In the tank I have, it has an over size pump. Nothing sets on the bottom for long. After feeding, when the pump is turned back on, everything is lifted up and pulled through the filter pretty efficiently. What the tank inhabitant dont get the filter does. Now of course I could be lying or just mistaken but my tank is prof. My nitrates are zero, phosphatase are zero, no algae. How can this be. When other clean their sand, and their rock and still have these problems with algae and nitrates, and I don't clean mine, how can you explain this. Let the results tell the truth.

Although it may work without having to change water so often, the trade off is that you spend more time in monitoring your water parameter and dosing chemicals. It is a gamble and it will crash if you don't do it right. For people who doesn't have so much time and has a regular job like me, the pwc is the simplest way to maintain a saltwater tank.

I agree about the tang, but tube worms do eat fish poop and I can prove it by catching it on a video. I have witnessed it. I do agree that if they too are eating, then they are expelling waist in the process. In the tank I have, it has an over size pump. Nothing sets on the bottom for long. After feeding, when the pump is turned back on, everything is lifted up and pulled through the filter pretty efficiently. What the tank inhabitant don't get the filter does. Now of course I could be lying or just mistaken but my tank is prof. My nitrates are zero, phosphatase are zero, no algae. How can this be. When others clean their sand, and their rock and still have these problems with algae and nitrates, and I don't clean mine, how can you explain this. Let the results tell the truth.

Tube worms don't eat poop. Most are filter feeders and eat microorganisms. It is the tiny worms that inhabit the sandbed along with bristleworms and various other micro fauna that break down waste in a dsb. Each critter serves a separate role in a dsb and the diversity is what keeps it going.

I agree about the tang, but tube worms do eat fish poop and I can prove it by catching it on a video. I have witnessed it. I do agree that if they too are eating, then they are expelling waist in the process. In the tank I have, it has an over size pump. Nothing sets on the bottom for long. After feeding, when the pump is turned back on, everything is lifted up and pulled through the filter pretty efficiently. What the tank inhabitant dont get the filter does. Now of course I could be lying or just mistaken but my tank is prof. My nitrates are zero, phosphatase are zero, no algae. How can this be. When other clean their sand, and their rock and still have these problems with algae and nitrates, and I don't clean mine, how can you explain this. Let the results tell the truth.

Than why do you still keep the tang in your tank?

Also, I tried to quote some of the things like you guys are and cant figure out how to do it.

There should be a quote button on the bottom right where the reply is. I'm on my phone so I'm not 100% sure where it is

Back
Top Bottom