NO2 or NO3 test kit more important

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vega

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I will setup a aquarium for my aunt's kindergarden soon.

Due to limited budget, at moment they could only afford limited set of test kits (2-3 set the most). :?

IMHO, the piority of test kit type are as following:-

1.pH kit (Most important).
2. Amonia kit

But the NO2 and NO3 kit are the one that i m not sure which are more important if can only choose 1.
Any advise?

I think gH and kH would be left out at moment as not CO2 or real plant will involve (remember KINDErGARDEN which = 100 x 5-6 years old!!! )

FYI, i intend to put fancy Guppy, molly, pleco and maybe gurami in the tank. and some fake plant of course
:D

I'd actually put ammonia and nitrites (NO2) before pH...since they can quickly kill a fish...

pH is important, but it should be relatively stable, unless you're adding a lot of stuff that's going to alter it....and most fish will tolerate a pretty good range of pH's so long as they're stable. Additionally, this should be a relatively inexpensive test (sometimes it's easier to just get litmus papers than the tests they sell at the pet store).

Have fun with the tank!

Definitely Ammonia and Nitrites. :) Nitrates don't come around until after Nitrites anyway, so you can put off getting it if it's a matter of being able to afford it next paycheck. Ammonia and Nitrites are the toxic ones.

I found a site that you can buy a whole kit for 11.99

2305 A.P. FRESHWATER MASTER TEST KIT $11.99

it's bigalsonline.com , I just ordered 2 of them myself. :D

Heh I get the feeling they won't. Shame, thats a great price on an entire kit.

I agree with sweets; getting the nitrogenous waste testers is more important that Ph initially. I'd get at LEAST the ammonia and nitrite testers to begin with; then in a coupla weeks when you have more money, get the Ph and nitrate tests.

email might be better...i believe its a 15 hour time difference LOL (I lived in Singapore for awhile...trying to make calls to the US was always a headache).

And with shipping charges, + customs....probably just easier to shop locally.

But I might go order one for myself :wink:

What size tank are you setting up?

If money is a concern, perhaps you should contact the PTA and see about getting some funds donated or send a letter out to the parents and ask for a small contribution from each. With 100 kids, a few bucks a piece would give you a nice budget to work with. You may even find some of the parents are Aquarium enthusiasts who can contribute not only money, but maybe also equipment and TIME!

Hmmmm i have check out the $11 kit from bigalsonline.com, which its quit expensive once inc the shipping $$$ so most the best would be getting from local.

Dear saberry, actually the parent donate the initail fund for the kid's birdy corner (now they have a 8 feet x 10 feet bird cage/room!!! i m not involve in that but i also dont know what they gonna put in there!!! :lol: ). There additional fund was then allocated to getting this new aquarium that's why i have limited budget. I think it would quit sometimes before getting new funding that's why i need to decide which 3 set of test kits i must buy (probably it would be till nex year for the new fund!!!). :?

In fact the reason why i choose guppy and gurami forthe tank is also they are hardy and quit affordale to keep compare to others (i m very sure if affordable, i would like to have a tank full of tetra and ram in it :D ).

What a great place to put an aquarium in a kindergarden. try asking your lfs to see if they will help.
I have a couple of local schools i work with, i donate fish to the schools and i let them have goods at a reduced rate. i try to do my bit for the community, maybe some of the lfs will do the same.
Oh yah test kits Ammonia and Nitrite and then Nitrate then ph. But if you ask your lfs they might help with that to.

Back
Top Bottom