Non agressive becoming aggressive...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreD

Aquarium Advice Freak
I performed my first PWC ever in my whole life. It was easy, and none of the fish were hurt. They were hiding as I was doing it though. As soon as I was done (and I mean right after they realized I was done) my black FEMALE Mollie started nipping at my silver MALE Mollie. She is chasing a llllll around the tank now. He's starting to hide behind the filter and pagoda lantern :( and now the swordtail (male) is chasing him too and the swordtail is chasing him too. Occasionally the silver mille will get under the black Mollie ands bite around her anal fin. I think this may be annoying her, but I'm not sure. Anywho, the black Mollie is chasing the silver one all over the tank non stop. The only time they all are happy is when there is food in their bellies and when it's lights out for them.

There are no injuries or illnesses that I am able to see on the silver Mollie.

Can't tell you any parameters other than the water is about 73F

Good for you on doing a PWC. May it be the first of many!

Live beareres like mollies and swords can be really nippy towards each other and at the other species.

As they've never had a PWC before, it may have stressed them out a little. However, the benefits of clean water far outway the small amount of stress they experience before they get used to the experience.

Definately look at doing another next week. The more often they get a PWC the more they get used to it and the better their overall health will be.

Good luck and keep it up!

I'm gonna do another tonight, and another in two days. My tank wasn't quite cycled when I put them in there
.____.

What exactly is your parameters? If there is any ammonia or nitrite present in the aquarium, I would recommend doing a PWC with additional prime (Optional, but It detoxifies ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours.) until your aquarium is cycled.

Mollies are one of the more aggressive livebearer species, likely on picking on a certain fish in the aquarium. Ive had a Male black molly pick on a single red eye tetra and chased the albino cories, but now he is out of the aquarium and is in the right hands.

Just watch things and make sure no serious injuries happen. If possibly, provide as many hiding spots as possible so not much eye contact happens. Also, make sure he is eating and getting enough to eat.

As I said before they all still eat, and I can't tell you parameters (don't have the master kit yet)

I'll be keeping a watchful eye on them

What's venting? Can thus be done with BPs?

Back
Top Bottom