Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A whole lot of nothing going on...

Any Pico tank updates?

Not much to update the last week+ as we were out of town, then back and slammed at work.

I will be working on our tanks this weekend and will have some significant updates, including a new impromptu tank build (mystery... suspense... intrigue) - pics pending!

Also going to SCAPE monthly meeting on Sunday at CK's in West Covina and hoping to score some more c. parva or Echinodorus tenellus as well as an Anubias Nana petite or two.

Stopped by Nature Aquarium this morning, they just got some Mr. Aqua tanks in and I spied a lovely 12Gal long+low (36x12x12) that I'm really tempted to snatch up.... MTS is a lovely affliction.

Thanks for the heads up..Will certainly look for the updates + the impromptu acquisition. I'm guessing it may have something to do with a stop over at Nature Aquarium?

Yeah the Mr. Aqua 12L has a great footprint. Lots of possibilities with that tank. Could this be the surprise? Lol

Thanks for the heads up..Will certainly look for the updates + the impromptu acquisition. I'm guessing it may have something to do with a stop over at Nature Aquarium?

Yeah the Mr. Aqua 12L has a great footprint. Lots of possibilities with that tank. Could this be the surprise? Lol

Ha ha, no I didn't impulse into the MA12L, but I'm tempted... waiting foe the SCAPE meeting deals tomorrow.

The surprise is actually kind of mundane, but I found a candle jar in the closet and converted into a betta bowl that I am planting with an anubias nana tied with java moss on driftwood and shrimp sand to bring down the pH. The anubias will break the surface along with the dw to act as a canopy. I floated some hornwort cuttings until I plant the tank tomorrow, and start a new thread. Here is a pic:

ForumRunner_20130817_131845.jpg

I also started tying plants to the pico driftwood and will post some pics before the weekend is over.

Post Weekend Update

Went to the monthly SCAPE meeting at CK's Fish World in West Covina on Sunday, nice store. Met many members of scapeclub.org and enjoyed the day: BBQ, show specials, an auction, a raffle; good times.

I picked up several new plants, some blue rams horn snails and 2 batches of shrimp!
1/2 dozen Super Tigers from the store for $1.98 each
10 Red Rilli for $7 from the auction

I also picked up a small (Mr.Aqua I think) rounded corner tank 26cm x 16cm x 19cm tall which I opted to setup up with an established Azoo palm and plants/decoration from my plant-staging bucket tank (more on that later) - the pH dropped overnight from 8.2 to 7.6 so far using Shrimp Sand substrate - pics to follow later.

I've been drip acclimating the shrimp in 2 different batches overnight and intend to house them together... so I have another tank now :ROFLMAO:

Sounds like it was real fun at the meet. You got those shrimp for a killer price too. So are you going to start a new thread on this new Mr Aqua?

Sounds like it was real fun at the meet. You got those shrimp for a killer price too. So are you going to start a new thread on this new Mr Aqua?

I will start a new thread, later today perhaps... here are a few pics in the meantime:

The setup
20130819_102442.jpg

Big Tiger
20130819_094309.jpg

Another Big Tiger
20130819_094254.jpg

Semi-saddled (?) large Rilli and Rilli juvenile (bad focus)
20130819_093414.jpg

Juvenile is hard to see... look a shrimp's-width below the larger rilli

A pair of young Rillis
20130819_081310.jpg

Please excuse the brown thread on the driftwood, it's only there to keep the moss in place for a few more weeks

Last edited:
That tiger shrimp looks neat. How many gallons is the new tank?

Guessing around the same as my pico cube, 2-2.5 gallon.

And after looking at the tank again, I found 2 small molts... so the teeniest rillis are growing vs. dying!
20130819_113101.jpg

Time will tell if this setup is sound :popcorn:

Last edited:
Gosh, you step away for a few minutes to do some work and this happens...

20130819_142531.jpg

The tiger on the left just molted, the old exoskel is on the right

Last edited:
Night 2 update

Visible activity in the tank has slowed down significantly

3 molts yesterday, 2 x rilli and 1 x tiger
1 overnight mortality, one of the wee-baby rillis
-leaving the sheds and carcass in there as "food" but no one seems in the mood for shirmp

It looks like one adult rilli and one rilli juvi are saddling up :dance:

Bought a package of Hikari Shrimp Cuisine yesterday, dropped about 15 chips in this morning.

Still need to start a new thread on this tank but what is the recommended photocycle and temperature for Neos? (I have heard/read conflicting things)

My water temp is around 76° F and looking at a 14 hour lights-on cycle.

I think photoperiod should be from 8 to 10 hours. I suppose you can run the lights longer if you don't get algae.

Are you testing TDS and KH/Gh? I'd just leave the molts but remove any carcasses.

I think photoperiod should be from 8 to 10 hours. I suppose you can run the lights longer if you don't get algae.

Are you testing TDS and KH/Gh? I'd just leave the molts but remove any carcasses.

I don't have the kits to test for KH/Gh but will order them (Dr. Foster Smith here I come!)

I will pull the carcass, it's so tiny I almost need a magnifying glass to see it... the only reason I did is because it turned white.

Also, after closer inspection, I have 4 rillis saddling up :whistle: (remaining 9 accounted for) but can only see 3 of my 5 tigers...

Well as like many things in this hobby, there are certain parameters that are optimal to keep something alive and thriving -- whether it be fauna or flora. I'm relatively still a noob myself to shrimp, but as far as I understand it, neos and caridina species have their optimal requirements that have ranges that are measured in TDS (total dissolved solids), kh/gh, and ph. So all are relevant and you should get all those tests and equipment. Luckily, these are the less expensive things in this hobby.

Well as like many things in this hobby, there are certain parameters that are optimal to keep something alive and thriving -- whether it be fauna or flora. I'm relatively still a noob myself to shrimp, but as far as I understand it, neos and caridina species have their optimal requirements that have ranges that are measured in TDS (total dissolved solids), kh/gh, and ph. So all are relevant and you should get all those tests and equipment. Luckily, these are the less expensive things in this hobby.

Plodding blindly forward, learning in arrears what I should know in advance; such is life.

Back
Top Bottom