Noob planning a planted fw pico rimless

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lol... don't worry, you'll be good. Neos and those tigers aren't the most difficult to keep...unlike CRS for instance.

Here's a thread I started at the beginning of the year. I wasn't too far off of where you are now...and I'm still learning.

Shrimp Newbie: Please Help with Tangerine Tigers, etc.!

Read that thread, thanks!

What is your feeding regimen these days?

I've got a few different foods but the Hikari seems the "most responded to" item I've offered them yet.

Quick Question: A few minutes ago I saw one of my saddled rillis lying on it's side kicking it's plepods (rear flappers between walking legs and tail) vigorously; I assumed it was kicking the bucket.

I went just went back to check it's progress and the shrimp was gone! I guess it did not die. Any idea what does that behavior could indicate?

I feed mine the Fluval shrimp granules and an occasional blanched zucchini. I will also drop in an anubias plant that has been in my other tanks for quite sometime. The anubias sits in my tank with just a dwarf puffer so there's nothing in this tank to clean the algae or biofilm that develops. So when I drop the anubias in my shrimp tanks, they go nuts over it and just start cleaning away. Once it's cleaned, I'll return the anubias to the original tank.

As for you red rili, I have observed similar erratic behavior prior to molting. So that might be the case there.

I feed mine the Fluval shrimp granules and an occasional blanched zucchini.

Gotta get up on blanching veggies. Do you skip days (feeding)?

I will also drop in an anubias plant that has been in my other tanks for quite sometime. The anubias sits in my tank with just a dwarf puffer so there's nothing in this tank to clean the algae or biofilm that develops. So when I drop the anubias in my shrimp tanks, they go nuts over it and just start cleaning away. Once it's cleaned, I'll return the anubias to the original tank.

Great minds... I considered doing the same but wondered if it would be stressful emotionally (for the shrimp, not me) and chemically to move plants between my tanks as my other tanks don't have the exacting, delicate conditions a shrimp tank needs.

As for you red rili, I have observed similar erratic behavior prior to molting. So that might be the case there.

I'm learning first hand what these little buggers do so there will probably be lots of "is this normal" type questions... Is there a comprehensive sticky somewhere that "explains" hobby shrimp behavior?

Day 3 Update

Pulled an expired super tiger out this morning :( it was one of the smaller tigers

Have not turned all lights on so I haven't accounted for all other shrimps

In the meantime I started a new thread about My Grow Bucket "tank" setup

Found another deceased tiger this afternoon, the second of the smaller ones.

The count as of now stands at:
1/10 red rilli gone, 9 remain
3/6 super tigers gone, 3 remain

Sorry for your losses. Something is obviously not right. Did you order the testing supplies? Are you using RO/DI water or tap? Did you test for other parameters like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Found another deceased tiger this afternoon, the second of the smaller ones.

The count as of now stands at:
1/10 red rilli gone, 9 remain
3/6 super tigers gone, 3 remain

The one rilli may have been a fluke, but the 3 tigers overnight seems awfully odd to me.

Well tigers are more sensitive than the neos. Getting those parameters are important (eg. TDS, gh/kh, ph, NH3, NO3-, and NO2-).

Also, are you using tap or RO?

Thanks for replies, guys :cool:

Sorry for your losses. Something is obviously not right. Did you order the testing supplies? Are you using RO/DI water or tap? Did you test for other parameters like ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates?

Testing supplies ordered, TDS meter received. Initial reading of that tank = 286ppm
Other water parameters
pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10
We are using tap water.

I popped in to NA today and talked to Toru. I'll grab some RO tomorrow, I had no time today, and do a 50% wc w RO.

The one rilli may have been a fluke, but the 3 tigers overnight seems awfully odd to me.

We lost one tiger on the drive home from the store on Sunday, two last night, and one more this morning, just saw it now. I saw one tiger listing to the left today, then stumbling, it looked drunk. Perhaps the onset of death, in it's early stages of course.

And then there were two...

Wow. That sucks man. The only think I can think is maybe the TDS is a little too high? But it's still not that high..

Wow. That sucks man. The only think I can think is maybe the TDS is a little too high? But it's still not that high..

FWIW, our tap water tested at 445ppm
Water out of my fridge (filtered) is 223ppm
Water in our 6G tetra tank is 390ppm
Water in our BB (betta bowl) is 323

And I just tested the shrimp tank again, 315ppm

I will try to get a jug of RO today... most likely weekend though, if anything is still left alive :banghead:

I agree with Joey, TDS isn't too bad. It's pretty good for tap compared to the liquid rock I have, but that's where the problem may reside. Tap may have some unforeseen contaminants sensitive shrimp are susceptible to. Mixing it 50/50 with RO or just going all RO is a good idea.. But the latter would require you to remineralize. Also, still have to test for kh/gh.

I agree with Joey, TDS isn't too bad. It's pretty good for tap compared to the liquid rock I have, but that's where the problem may reside. Tap may have some unforeseen contaminants sensitive shrimp are susceptible to. Mixing it 50/50 with RO or just going all RO is a good idea.. But the latter would require you to remineralize. Also, still have to test for kh/gh.

Yeah, they're must be something in the tap. That's weird though how you just tested and the TDS was up even more. If you do go all RO, I know serious shrimp people use Mosura and Salty Shrimp products, but it's alot cheaper to use something like remineralize by seachem or Kent RO right.

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really up for this...

The idea of lugging jugs of water every week or two is not really appealing :banghead:

Day 5 Update

Removed dead super tiger, now down to 2
Found another molt :dance:
Found a medium sized rilli lying on it's side... i tapped it and it jumped to it's feet... silli rilli :rolleyes:

Here's one of my last majestic tigers flauntin' it to a saddled rilli
20130821_163703.jpg

I also noticed some settling in my substrate, the level has gotten a bit lower. I'm thinking about adding some more SS to the rear of the tank to slope the ground towards the front (I'd soak the Shrimp Sand in RO first) - does Shrimp Sand "settle" after install?

Last edited:
Yeah that's how I felt too... makes me wish I lived in a house versus an apartment, I would totally buy an RO filtration system...lol

On the bright side, your tanks are nanos so you would only need to lug a lot of water at first (less if you mix with tap). Subsequent top offs and PWC's should only be done in moderation to keep the water parameters stable. I started getting my RO from those water dispenser machines usually found in front of the supermarket. It's 5 gallons for $1. Just think of it as the "labor of love!" Haha

I'm beginning to wonder if I'm really up for this...

The idea of lugging jugs of water every week or two is not really appealing :banghead:

Atleast you're lugging jugs for a pico tank. 5 gallons could last 2-3 weeks for top offs and tiny water changes.

Back
Top Bottom