Norman's Lampeye Killifish; looking for some tankmates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank-o-Fish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there. Over a month ago I stocked my first 15 gallon tank with 10 Norman's Lampeye Killifish (crappy cellphone pic below). Unfortunately I lost 3 of them, but the remaining 7 are doing good. Time for some new tankmates, right?

I like the Lampeye's a lot, they are not very prominent looking but really shine once you spot 'em. Now I'm looking for some tankmates that will stand out a little more. I'm thinking 10 small red fish would look very good.

Looking for small, easy and friendly fish, I came across these two fellas:

Spotted_Dwarf_Rasbora.jpg

Dwarf rasbora - Boraras maculatus.
They seem quite perfect: good looking, peaceful and quite hardy. Only problem seems the pH. Some say it shouldn't be higher than 6,5. Mine is 7.8 (very stable though). Is this too high to adapt?

5364rasbora_espei1.jpg

False Harlequin Rasbora (not 100% sure about the English name) - Rasbora Espei.
The requirements seem quite similar to the dwarf rasbora, although the pH doesn't seem as strict.

Apart from the pH, my aquarium seems suitable for both of these fellas, right? Any recommendations?

Oh, and by the way, I'd also like to add around 3 Lampeye's, for a bigger shoal and for more genetic variety when breeding. This should be no problem, right?

Attachments

• 2013-11-24 23.14.02.jpg
    2013-11-24 23.14.02.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 555
Either one should be fine. Fish adjust well to PH, as long as they are introduced slowly to it. I would pick the Dwarf Rasbora, because I like them better :D

I'd go with dwarf rasboras or the celestial pearl danio. Some male endlers livebearers would be a great option if you want colorful fish.

Thanks for the responses! I'm also leaning towards the dwarf rasbora.

Celestial pearl danio would be an option indeed. They cost more than 4 times as much though, so I think I'm gonna go with the dwarf rasbora's. Those endler's also look quite nice, even though I'm not that fond of guppies.

You could do the Dwarf rasbora's, Chili rasbora's, Purple or Red Arc Pencilfish, Ember tetra's, or Celestial Pearl Danio's. Any of these would work great.

Can't go wrong with the dwarf rasboras. Ember tetras and emerald rasboras would be good options too.

I know they aren't red, but Gertrude and thread fin rainbows would be nice as far as I know. The Gertrudes especially can be amazing.

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! Unfortunately the place where I'm going to buy them doesn't have Gertrudes. They also don't have the Chili rasbora's, which maybe would look even a bit better than the dwarfs. I think I'm going for the dwarf's anyway, they look great. Good to know they will probably do fine in my aquarium.

I'm also thinking of adding one (or two) Hypostomus Plectomus.

pleco.png

I know that it probably will need rehousing in a few years, this shouldn't be a problem though. At the moment it should be perfectly able to hide in the submarine, right?

Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions! Unfortunately the place where I'm going to buy them doesn't have Gertrudes. They also don't have the Chili rasbora's, which maybe would look even a bit better than the dwarfs. I think I'm going for the dwarf's anyway, they look great. Good to know they will probably do fine in my aquarium.

I'm also thinking of adding one (or two) Hypostomus Plectomus.

pleco.png

I know that it probably will need rehousing in a few years, this shouldn't be a problem though. At the moment it should be perfectly able to hide in the submarine, right?

They have much too high a bioload and they grow very quickly so don't add them to the tank.

Okay, that's clear. Maybe two kuhli loaches? Or would they be too active for this little tank? I would really love a 'monster' for the submarine :cool:

Back
Top Bottom