Northern Two-Lined Salamander Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lupinedusk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi. I've got a couple two-lined salamanders that I've had for around 5 months now. Caught them at about an inch long, the first of the two just lost its gills.

-I'm wondering how much space in their new aquarium should be dedicated to land, as well as how important it is to have non-aquatic food sources.

-The one that lost its gills is still only 2-2.5 inches. Everywhere I look it up, the adult size is listed as 6-12cm; is there any way to know which end of the spectrum their size will get? Also how long it takes to reach max size from this point

Thanks. And any other info you think I should have is appreciated too

I used to find those under stones in nearby streams. Apparently they are more aquatic than I thought (had to look it up; they tend to stay near or in water).
Not sure how much land you should provide, maybe 25% or more. Leaf litter and other cover both above and below the water line may be helpful, though they may spend quite a bit of time hiding. They are good climbers that I do know.
Worms (black, tubifex, blood) are suitable foods.

wow this brings back memory's when I was a young boy we always went camping up in Catskills NY every summer , I always found those orange salamanders while climbing threw the rocks , I will say these little guys were fast , after I caught a few I took them home and set up a nice tank for them . I always fed them greens and crickets and the occasional earthworm.

one my friends never believed me about orange lizards till I showed him . the look on his face was worth a million dollars I busted out laughing.
I had those guys almost 6 years till our dog knocked over the tank and they got out , never seen them again but it was fun having them ,

I would do about 1/3 of the tank as terrestrial and would suggest planting the terrestrial portion - you'll have to do a bit of experimenting to find plants that are suitable for being frequently or completely "wet". In regards to tank size, I would do minimum a 20 gallon long, with a mix of both aquatic and terrestrial live foods, which may require you to collect or grow your own food.

A google search of the caudata sites will net you a care species for these guys pretty quickly if you haven't found one yet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom