Not sure of my light level with new fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimAnnKitz

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just added a brighter light fixture to my Fluval Spec V tank hoping that I could grow some red and pinkish plants. The light is a Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED Light Plus Moonlights 20"......
Does anyone know what light level I now have? And do I need to dose with a liquid carbon booster? Since it's only a 5 gallon tank I don't want to get into the whole diy C02 or a purchased C02 system. I just wanted better growth and more color on my plants. Right now I have Bacopa, Ludwigia Repens, Java Fern, Java Moss, Anacharis, Amazon Sword Compacta and dwarf sag. I had anubias nana and anubias nana petite in the tank but the snail in there keeps cutting off the leaves and the plants eventually turn to mush (I can keep them alive in another tank so I don't know why they do this in this tank). I have an
Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia on the way and have just purchased some dwarf hairgrass that I haven't planted yet. Any info or help would be very appreciated as I am very new to plants and only 8 months into my aquarium adventures! :blink:

With that you should have high light. You will absolutely need glut and fertilizers to add to the tank to prevent an algae bloom.

Cidex Metricide Omnicide 14 Day Sterilization Gallon | eBay

Estimative Index | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Thank you!!! I appreciate the links and the help. I have never seen any info on dosing dry ferts in a 5 gallon aquarium. I am currently using liquid fertilizer along with the liquid C02 booster, both made by API. How do i dose the dry ferts in a 5 gallon tank and would the liquid ferts still work? I know nothing about the dry stuff and I'm not sure the plants I have are demanding enough to use them. If you can offer an additional advice I'd be really grateful. :)

API CO2 booster is pretty much the same as Excel. Glut, short for glutaraldehyde, which is the active ingredient in API & Excel, is the generic version that's about 2X stronger. If the 5g fluval spec is all you have right now for a planted tank, the CO2 booster dosing is fine. We usually go the Glut route to save money because you get so much of it at a fraction of the price. It makes more sense when you either have a large or multiple planted tanks. Same with dry ferts... makes more financial sense to go this route. Plus, it's a comprehensive dosing regimen that supplies both micro and macro nutrients. I'm not sure what's in API's plant fert, but check the ingredients for micro and macro nutrients. Most likely it doesn't have the full compliment of NPK and micros. So either learn and invest in dry ferts, EI vs. PPS-Pro dosing regimens, or if you want to stick with liquids, you can get Seachem's NPK (essentials and enhancers) kit while you're learning. It won't necessarily break the bank dosing a 5g.

Also, the planted+ light would need a reduced photoperiod. It's high light on a spec as mentioned. I wouldn't exceed more that 6 to 7 hours a day.

Thank you Brian! I will start learning about the dry fertilizers and then get some...I do have plants in a couple of other tanks but its just Java fern, anacharis, anubias and some bacopa and they are doing pretty good in low to medium light. I'm just worried about the Fluval with the high light now. I will have to start monitoring my photoperiod more closely. I like to be able to see the tank and tend to leave the light on most of the day and evening. Maybe a timer would be a good idea...

Since the Finnex fixtures aren't dimmable, you have two options that hobbyists use to tame that light for longer photoperiods. You can try suspending the light to create more distance to reduce PAR, or you can add window screen behind the splash shield to reduce the light by about 30%. Last option, return it for a refund or repurpose the light on a taller tank... then get a Current Satellite LED+, which is dimmable (and fully customizable color temp wise) and not as intense = more tank viewing time ;)

Since the Finnex fixtures aren't dimmable, you have two options that hobbyists use to tame that light for longer photoperiods. You can try suspending the light to create more distance to reduce PAR, or you can add window screen behind the splash shield to reduce the light by about 30%. Last option, return it for a refund or repurpose the light on a taller tank... then get a Current Satellite LED+, which is dimmable (and fully customizable color temp wise) and not as intense = more tank viewing time ;)

Darn! I knew I should have asked before ordering a light fixture. I have no way to suspend the fixture over the tank and I think the screening would frustrate me. I ordered the Finex from Amazon so I'll try to return it and order the Current. Not sure I'll be able to figure that light out, but at least it can be left on longer! Any ideas on the setting I should use and how long I can leave the light on? I will read as much as I can find on it too. :D

Great idea about moving the fixture, but I don't have a taller tank. NO room in the house for big tanks and have bettas so I have 5 gallon and under. If anyone is interested in a very slightly used Finex Light as stated above let me know! But I will check into returning it. That would be my best bet.

Oh yeah in terms of the Sat+, for photoperiod I like the "full spectrum" mode or the "orange" mode best. Those are the brightest settings and are easy to set with just a touch of a button. Beyond those settings, I like to use presets like cloud cover, sunset, or moonlight for extended viewing time. On the brighter settings, you're probably looking at 7 to 9 hours... you'll just have to dim if you want longer and adjust (time & intensity) accordingly to how your tank is doing. Setting custom presets are easy too... I have a couple with extra red in the hue that look neat. IMO, the Sat+ is so flexible and versatile, especially for shallower planted tanks.

Oh yeah in terms of the Sat+, for photoperiod I like the "full spectrum" mode or the "orange" mode best. Those are the brightest settings and are easy to set with just a touch of a button. Beyond those settings, I like to use presets like cloud cover, sunset, or moonlight for extended viewing time. On the brighter settings, you're probably looking at 7 to 9 hours... you'll just have to dim if you want longer and adjust (time & intensity) accordingly to how your tank is doing. Setting custom presets are easy too... I have a couple with extra red in the hue that look neat. IMO, the Sat+ is so flexible and versatile, especially for shallower planted tanks.

Gosh! Thank you so much. I have already set up to return the Finex fixture and have ordered the Current. I will lose a little on shipping but it will all work out in the end! I don't want too much light in the tank and was worried that's what I was doing. I freaked out some ghost shrimp when I first added the light and they all jumped from the tank repeatedly until they finally died, but that's another story. Now if I can figure out my ammonia problem, I'll be golden! :oops: I really appreciate you pointing me in the right direction. I walk by this tank many, many times each day so I should have no problem picking up the remote and changing the settings. If it gets to be too much I will order the timer. I just wish this light was programmable, but I think a lot of people wish this too. Still way more adjustable than the Finex. :D

I have a couple of Sat+ lights. Works well with a conventional timer or current single ramp timer. Yeah it would be nice to program it though. There's a way with a DIY Arduino controller. But it's too much work I care to do myself.

I have a couple of Sat+ lights. Works well with a conventional timer or current single ramp timer. Yeah it would be nice to program it though. There's a way with a DIY Arduino controller. But it's too much work I care to do myself.

I'm not looking to do a lot of work just to get the lights to do different things. I can always push a button! :D

I did get the Satellite+ today and put it on the Spec V. I love it! One question for you though. It sits about 8 3/4 inches from the substrate in this tank. Is this enough light to keep my Alternanthera reineckii roseafolia and Ludwigia Repens red or pink? I read that it is considered a low to low/medium light and am afraid that I am going to lose my color. These plants look so good with my pink, copper over halfmoon double tail male betta and are gorgeous in my tank. :oops:

:thanks:

Back
Top Bottom