Not sure what I have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsmith782

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, this is my first post here, im pretty sure im in the right forum. I have this stuff on my anubis and java's in this tank. It's a reg. 29g with a newly added coralife 65w fixture. The stuff was on the plants prior to the fixture upgrade too. Anyway, I thought it was brown slime algea, but it wont wipe off, so now im not sure at all. Here are some pics. Also, I cant figure out how to set up my sig. Thank You Thank You!!!

Attachments

• 100_0764_157.jpg
    100_0764_157.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 100_0765_259.jpg
    100_0765_259.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 100_0766_109.jpg
    100_0766_109.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 18
#2 looks like java fern with really really broad leaves.
#1 looks like anubias nana to me, with oddly longish stems.

1 and 3 could be the same plant, in which case I have no idea what is is, other than guessing its a crypt species.

im not sure if you read the post or just the title? i know i have a.nana and java fern, but im not sure what is on it. Thanks though.

B

How old is your tank? I had diatoms for the first two months in my tank before it became more established.

I have heard about these but, my tank has been set up for 5 years. Thats why im so dumbfounded about this.

B

I cannot tell exactly from the pics but it's either diatoms or BBA. If it's just brown and you can rub it off with your fingers, it's diatoms. If it is in hairy, thread like clumps, it would be BBA.

You also have a nutrient issue considering the holes in the leaves. Has the tank been set up with plants at the onset or have you just introduced them? There are some very informative stickies at the beginning of this forum, check them out.

I have had plants in this tank since it's been running. I believe that the nutrient def. was potassium and I have since ordered from greg watson and have been dosing, that seems to have taken care of the holes in the plants (at least the new sprouts, and havent seen any more form). I thought maybe diatoms, but from what I have read that is usually in new tanks and is easily wiped/rubbed off. I had a bout with BBA a few years ago and I dont think this is that (not hairy at all). Darn it back at square one. Thank you all for the help though!

B

Not exactly what it is, but is probably black algae. the only info I can find on it is in pools, etc, but not much in aquariums. But one thing I did read is Nerite snails eat black algae. In one of my non-planted tanks with higher lighting, I had problems with it on my ornaments, etc. The only way I got rid of the black algae was to throw away the infected ornaments. It was black, and very hard to clean off.

Back
Top Bottom