Not sure what to do.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, a while back we upgraded the lighting on our 29g to a dual T5HO fixture (2x24 watts, I think). Our plants started growing a lot better.

But now (surprise, surprise, I know) we have a HORRIBLE outbreak of hair algae. It's covering everything. Most of the plants are still doing okay, but our favorite one (a ludwigia that was gorgeous just a few weeks ago) is really suffering.

We can't really afford CO2 right now. We're going to try reducing the photo period. We also stopped dosing Leaf Zone. Should we have done this? Should we start back up again?

I want to save our planted tank but right now it's going downhill.

I have the same exact problem and rookie said CO2 might help.

Looking forward to some answers.

Yeah, I know CO2 would help... but we can't afford that... not even a DIY. We really can't spend any more money right now, at least not more than say $10?

I'm almost wondering if there's some sort of (gasp) algae-down product that won't negatively affect plants.

I would not stop dosing fertilizers though. With the added light your plants will consume more nutrients and if you bottom out on one nutrient, you'll have algae problems. Is the ferts that you are dosing just the trace?

It used to be really long. Probably 12-14 hours. Now we're trying to cut it down, but today it was still about 11. Yesterday we got it down to 8.

Will drastically reducing it keep the plants alive but kill the algae?

We have:

Ludwigia
Amazon Sword
Moneywort
Sagittaria Subulata
Anacharis
Anubias
Four-leaf Clover
Myrio
Melon Sword
Cardinal Plant

Edit: for the ferts, yeah I think so. It's just API Leaf Zone which has like, iron and potash in it, I think?

Rosenweiss said:
It used to be really long. Probably 12-14 hours. Now we're trying to cut it down, but today it was still about 11. Yesterday we got it down to 8.

Will drastically reducing it keep the plants alive but kill the algae?

We have:

Ludwigia
Amazon Sword
Moneywort
Sagittaria Subulata
Anacharis
Anubias
Four-leaf Clover
Myrio
Melon Sword
Cardinal Plant

11 hours is too much. Excessive photoperiod might cause algae breakout. I recently ugraded my lights and reduced my photo period to 7 hours from 10.. Try splitting your photo period. My light schedule is 4 on, 4 off, 3 on, 13 off. Do you have a timer for your lights? It is advisable to use a timer. I doubt the reduce photo period will kill your plants. Like what I said, I only have mine on for 7 hours and plants are doing great.

Okay. No timer and I don't think we can do a split period, but we'll try reducing it. I'll go for about 7 hours, probably. I really hope that helps.

You might try Seachem Excel along with the lower photo period. You can get it for under ten bucks. It is the only real substitute for co2 (though not as good) and also has algae killing properties.

Almost all other algacide type products contain large amounts of copper, which can render your tank uninhabitable for inverts.

The ludwigia will definately benefit from the micro fertz in the water column, but the swords, and a few others are heavy root feeders and need macros.

Last edited:
Do that and if algae stops multiplying try extending your photoperiod by half hour if you want the lights on longer but 7 hours should be enough.

Thank you mudraker and roydooms, I will take both of your advice!

For now though, will dosing with Leaf Zone hurt or help?

Edit: and mud, we actually have been using some root tabs too, especially for the sword.

Keep up the leaf zone for sure.

You will need to start dosing macros as soon as you can budget for it.

What kind of tabs are you using? Some dose micros, some dose micros.

I don't know what dosing macros means... can you fill me in? =] We're using the API brand root tabs.

I'll leave this one to you mudraker. You know this a lot better than me :D

I forgot that I saved some info provided by the one and only fort. Here you go. All credits goes to him.

If you go high light, you will need CO2. Ferts start to become a requirement around medium light... but what you need to dose will vary.

If you go with the CFLs, you could get away without CO2. If you go with the doublebrights or the T5HOs, I think you are going to want it.

Some good fert info:

Plants need 5 big things to grow, and several smaller amounts of other nutrients to thrive.

The big things:
1. Light
2. Carbon - This comes in a few forms... your plants will use CO2 in the water to get this. Without injecting CO2 your water will remain at equilibrium with the air, around 7ppm CO2. By injecting CO2 you can raise the CO2 to "unnatural" levels and essentially kick the plants into high gear. The consensus is the most beneficial level is somewhere between 20-40ppm CO2. You can also add Carbon by using a product called "seachem excel" or another gultaraldehyde product. It works very well with most plants, but can cause problems with others (namely hornwort, anacharis, and a few others) so read up on it before putting it in your tank.
3. Nitrogen (N): One of the 3 "macro-nutrients" for plant growth. If you have fish in your tank, there is a natural source of N provided by fish waste and uneaten food, in the form of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrates. Your plants will soak up these forms of N and use them to grow. As you add more light to a tank, especially if it is heavily planted, your plants may use up all of the N in your tank, and it may become necessary to supplement the N using fertilizer.

4. Phosphorus (P): the 2d of the 3 macro-nutrients. It occurs naturally in many water sources, and is also found in many foods and other organic material. It may be necessary to dose P in high light tanks where the plants are using up all available naturally occurring P. It occurs in the tank in the form of Phosphate, PO4... so you can get a phosphate test kit to check how much P your plants have available to use.

5. Potassium (K): The last of the 3 macro-nutrients. K doesn't occur naturally in much that is already in a standard tank. Most off the shelf aquarium fertilizers contain K (and not the other 2 macros). It is less harmful in large quantities, and almost any tank (from low to high) will benefit from the addition of a supplement that contains K.

The micro-nutrient or trace elements:

Plants also need other nutrients in much smaller quantities that are often referred to as micro-nutrients or trace elements. These include Iron (Fe), the most common trace element added, and a commonly available fertilizer. It also includes other elements, like Boron, Mg, etc.

Most ferts you find in your local fish store will be a liquid form that combines 1 or more of the nutrients I described above. Most serious FW Planted tank hobbyists prefer to dose each of the 4 categories above individually using dry fertilizers. You can buy enough dry fert to last years for a tank of your size for about $20-30. The liquid ferts sold in LFSs are very expensive in comparison, sometimes costing 20-70 times as much if you add up what you are getting per dose. Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home is a good source.

In addition to liquid dosing or dry dosing to the water column, there are also "root tabs" available that get "planted" in the substrate under the plants. They can do wonders for plants that are heavy root feeders. They contain 1 or more of the categories of ferts (N, P, K, or trace) I described above.

Wow, thanks roy... that does help.

This all sounds extremely complicated--and expensive... it's a little depressing, honestly... considering we just can't spend the money to do most of those things right now... but Leaf Zone has potassium and iron (I guess that would be 1 micro and 1 macro), and there is plenty of nitrogen from the fish (we're a little overstocked). The carbon we might be able to get from seachem excel. Can you use excel WITH API leaf zone or is that an instead-of option?

Fort has great advice, but here is a simpler way to say the same thing on micros and macros.

API root tabs are micros, the same as the Leaf zone you are using. Its copper, iron, zinc,etc:

A lot of them are the same trace minerals people need in their diet.

Seachems flourish tabs have macros. Your swords, for example, really need the macros and micros in the substrate.

Macro nutrients in fertz are basically nitrates and phosphate.

The next time you budget for fertz, check out what seachem has to offer.

Thank you! I really appreciate that advice. I will look!

Yes you can. Excel is carbon. I still dose excel even though I have a CO2 system. I dose all the micros and macros as well. Dosing excel and API leaf zone is ok.

Back
Top Bottom