Nothing ever goes according to plan...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chikadee

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I was planning on setting up a new puffer tank because my boyfriend had a 30 long laying around in his fraternity house. He built me an aquarium stand for Christmas and I returned all my fish in my 10gal to start all over. I put water in the new tank and all the decorations before break and everything was peachy-keen. I got home last night and filled up the evaporated water and put on my new penguin 170 filter. About an hour later, we notice a dripping... the tank sprung a leak on the side! We frantically scrambled to empty it and manage to do so without too much of a mess. Boy were we lucky to have caught it! I can only imagine what would've happened if that leak started even a few hours earlier! There'd be no way to get my security deposit back after that flood!

Today we went to the LFS to check out what tanks they had. I thought about fixing this one since i think all it needs is some new silicone, but I don't want to risk it. The LFS charged $60 for a 30 long and only $26 for a 29gal, so I think I'm going to go with the 29. I'm so bummed though! :-( I have to wait until the tank comes in and start all over again. Not to mention my custom built stand is no longer a custom fit. Oh well... I guess it could've been a lot worse! :roll:

That is a shame! Just when you think everything is coming together, too. I would encourage you to try to fix the leak, if it is indeed just a leak from a seam that needs silicone. That way you will still have the nice matching stand. Or, try to find one like the one you have second-hand. I think $60 for the 30 is a rip!

Not to mention the sillicones that T-iasg mention, They don't hold up well under water.

They often break apart and crumble a day or three after sitting in a constantly submerged enviroment

Well, I bought myself a new 30gal. I just didn't have the time or space or knowledge to fix the old tank, not to mention it was scratched up anyway. The new tank looks great and is all ready to go! Now I just need to get some fish. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom