noticing algae, gotta stop it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NJtuna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hey all, im starting to notice some green and brown algae developing in my 10g. I can't figure out where it is coming from because i have zero phosphates and nitrates and all i have in the tank is a few pieces of LR. My lights are simple: coarllife 50/50 for 12 hours a day, and sometimes i black the tank out for a few days to counter the algae growth. Am i doing anything wrong here?

Well regardless, how should i go about stopping the algae now before it becomes a big problem?

thanks in advance

How old are the bulbs? I would also reduce the hours you have the lights turned on.If all you have in the tank is rock, I would REALLY cut back the time on the lights.

Remove as much as you can manually and cut back on the lights and that should help. Replace the bulbs if they are getting old.

brand new bulbs actually, i would lower the light time but i was considering beginning to add some shrimp so it wont be only LR, then what?

Neither the shrimp nor the LR need 12 hours of light. Zero PO4 and NO3 just means it's undetecable by the test kit. It could be used by the algae therefore giving you a reading of 0.

Also you need to feed every other day. Too many nutrients in the water could be the problem also.

Back
Top Bottom