Novice in need of advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishybatman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Set up-Yesterday I purchased my first fish. 2 red tux platy, 2 diamond tetra, and 2 black tetra. My water temp is set at 78, I cycled the water 24hrs with tank start before buying and adding the fish, which were acclimated to the temp and were only in transport for about 15 mins.

Question- My black tetras do not want to eat. The other fish are all over the food (basic tropical fish flake). The black tetras might nibble a little bit at what is left over after the others have at it. Am I doing anything wrong in particular or maybe just being impatient with a scared fish?

First things first :)

I want you to read the stickies in the getting started section (where you posted this in). Cycling just doesn't happen in 24 hours sorry.

Do you have any form of testing kit to test your tank water?

I would say your new fish are just skittish. I don't feed new fish the day I get them.

Caleb

Thanks for the response.

Wow, the fish store told me to set it up and let it run for a day before coming back. I tested the pH but don't have anything to test for ammonia. That will be next on the list. I guess fish in cycling is my only option now.

Thanks for the response.

Wow, the fish store told me to set it up and let it run for a day before coming back. I tested the pH but don't have anything to test for ammonia. That will be next on the list. I guess fish in cycling is my only option now.

Not joking here, when I started a was told the same exact thing. I had a black moor goldfish named Wilbur and he passed in a week of ich.

Get yourself a liquid test kit. Much more accurate and much more cost effective than strips.

Caleb

Fish store employees are usually the least educated about fish. I'm not quite sure why. I suspect low pay has something to.do with acquiring and retaining knowledgeable people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My good LFS store fish manager guy doesn't even keep fish at home! But he does take pride in his work. Reasonably knowledgable

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the response.

That's because they want money fast which makes sense in their world

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom